Accidental Fossil Find on Bio Field Trip to Freedom Park in Williamsburg, VA

RiseOfTheExtinct

On a class field trip for 3rd Block (3rd Period), we went to Freedom Park to measure slope, air temperature, soil temperature, etc. of the Northern & Southern sides/slopes of hills. In between the hill slants, there was a creek bed. Inside the creek bed, there are fossils that I just had to pick up some. I got this oyster and this other shell. It seems everywhere I go (someplace new in nature, or a field trip) I always find either a fossil shell or seashell or land shell. It's really weird, but cool, because mollusks are my favorite type of fossil. And fossils are my favorite study. I am somewhat surprised, still, when I find the shells and fossils, even though it happens every time. The white one I've never seen before, but it's hard to identify because it's broken. I wish I knew what it was...I've tried to figure it out. Actually....I have a guess. It's some kind of clam. It's a tongue shell! It's gotta be! These fossils I found in that creek. I thought it was an interesting story, so I wanted to share it.

20190109_101625.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

:trilo:  RiseOfTheExtinct  :ammonite01:

"There's no shame in being weird. I'm have the obsession of mollusks. You're the one who always forgets your coffee. We're all weird in our own ways.

Don't forget that, weirdo whose even weirder than me..."

5 minutes later... Said by someone else...

"Hey, weirdo, you forgot your coffee on your desk..."

Here's another image!

5c36178f7ab56_20190109_101614(1).thumb.jpg.f9b0bb83d8d73dd400f91874bdf96695.jpg

"There's no shame in being weird. I'm have the obsession of mollusks. You're the one who always forgets your coffee. We're all weird in our own ways.

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Accidental Fossil Find on Bio Field Trip to Freedom Park in Williamsburg, VA

Within the genus Ostrea for sure. I cannot comment on species as they look to alike for me to tell apart.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Adam86cucv is correct.  Ostrea compressirostra  is a Lower Pliocene guide fossil which is very common in the Sunken Meadow Member of the Yorktown Formation which outcrops around Williamsburg.

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

• 5 months later...

Thanks! Sorry for the late reply. Haven't been on in forever.  Thank you all! I'll take your help for future references. I've found plenty of these. I'm not quite sure it's a tongue clamshell after all. I'm leaning towards quahog-venus clam fossil. Although, since it's a piece, it may be impossible to tell. Once again, I'll try to reply sooner. 

• 7 months later...