Is this a rudist fossil?

FossilGuy24

I just found this in Medina County Texas.  Glen Rose Formation.  I am pretty sure it is a rudist fossil?  Please let me know what y’all think.  Thank you.

02495FF2-AF54-4293-B65E-DE74FAE99D26.jpeg

83D35FB0-F58F-4F74-91C6-655FA07DCE67.jpeg

I can't see enough characters to say YES.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Possibly. But as abyssunder pointed out it is a bit lacking in detail. But there are plenty of rudists in the Glen Rose with that approximate shape and it is also fairly typical in it's "poor" preservation for what one would expect.

• I found this Informative 3

At first sight, it reminds me of a segment of a hippuritid rudists with the pillars exposed. But when I look closer, I have problems.

I don´t see shell material, but:

20 hours ago, erose said:

fairly typical in it's "poor" preservation for what one would expect.

Do they occur as steinkerns/imprints/mold/casts?

What species of hippuritid rudists do occur there?

And I have a problem with the marked area:

Texas_2.jpg

Why the discontinuity? Maybe a second, smaller segment?

I don´t know, of pics from below and above may be of any help, and if they are even possible.

Franz Bernhard

@FranzBernhard

The reason I thought it was a rudist is because I recently posted a fossil that was identified as a rudist.  They line up exactly the same and look a like to me.  Therefore, I am assuming that is is a rudist.  Here are some photos of the other piece that was identified on this forum as a rudist.  Thank you.

8DC13D04-F3F8-454D-B9BF-7FAA82B49631.jpeg

4CC8F253-7296-4AF5-8103-BB62481F95E6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

10 hours ago, FossilGuy24 said:

They line up exactly the same and look a like to me.

Yes, they are! Thanks for showing the other specimen, this is more clearly a partial rudist, but I am not 100% sure, though. But I am not experienced enough with such partial specimens and have no experience with the rudists in your area, of course :headscratch:.

Keep on hunting, maybe more complete specimens may show up!

Franz Bernhard

The Glen Rose Formation is Upper Aptian to Lower Albian, so the possible rudist(s) can't be compared with the Late Cretaceous Campanian rudist, unfortunately.
I'm leaning toward caprinid rudist in a poor preservation, but it's just a guess. :)

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library