Kansas Fossil Collection

Randomguy1

Hey guys I had this collection of fossils and I wanted to show them to you guys. This collection has a few I have questions so about so please let me know about them. Heres the slideshow of the best ones.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1c9audycmGOHZENQjRdXumQot-0HE2oMJBl39AZoU5qM/edit?usp=sharing 

The most interesting one is this brachiopod, can someone tell me what is going on with it? Thanks!

Odd looking brachi.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

25 minutes ago, Randomguy1 said:

Hey guys I had this collection of fossils and I wanted to show them to you guys. This collection has a few I have questions so about so please let me know about them. Heres the slideshow of the best ones.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1c9audycmGOHZENQjRdXumQot-0HE2oMJBl39AZoU5qM/edit?usp=sharing 

The most interesting one is this brachiopod, can someone tell me what is going on with it? Thanks!

nice! Wish I could help on this but my invert info is not exactly up to scratch ;)

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

@Randomguy1

Please post the photos directly to this website.

In time, 3rd party links expire, or otherwise break, and then the topic becomes useless. :( 

Better to post them here directly. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Randomguy1 said:

Odd looking brachi.jpg

This is a Pennsylvanian Linoproductus sp. brachiopod

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Your 'oysters' look more like some kind of Sphenoceramus, which would make it Cretaceous in age, not Pennsylvanian. The rest I'm confident are Penn and someone here should be able to ID them for you, to some extent..

Thank you guys! Im kind of a newb. The spenoceramus are cretaceous? I had no idea! Im not sure why that's so cool to me! :D

Edited by Randomguy1

The "oysters" seem to resemble inoceramus (sphenoceramus) labiatus very much, is it possible that that is what they are?

The brachiopod is a Linoproductus, as has been mentioned.  The brachial valve (shell) is concave and closely follows the curve of the convex pedicle valve, so there isn't much space between them.  In your specimen a chunk of the pedicle valve is broken away, revealing the inner surface of the pedicle valve underneath.

The oysters are probably Mytiloides, not SphenoceramusMytiloides labiatus is a Turonian (Upper Cretaceous) index species, and it does occur in Kansas.  However there are other closely related species as well.  I don't think your specimens are complete enough for a confident ID to species; I would label them Mytiloides sp.

Don

• I found this Informative 3