Ice Age Trail find

werepanther

Getting a rock vibe on this, but better pictures may change my mind. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I was hoping I might get lucky with the images I have at the moment, but, to spite my eagerness to share I will have to wait til I can offer better images. While I am unsure of this piece for species I am 99% sure with it's weight, shape, color, and striations it is not rock. I won't be upset to learn it is a rock with better imagery offered, but it's not giving off a rock vibe to me.

Well, again, we can only go by what we see.  :shrug:

There isn't enough detail showing for me to say it is bone. :( 

I could be totally wrong. Won't be the first or last time. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

No worries. I understand, need better photos. Frustrated more over needing better images than what it might or might not be.  Still hunting for my better camera.

Something of that size, noted to be lighter than a rock, would seem to point towards something organic, perhaps modern, and not fossilized. I am far from being an expert on such things, but I'd be more in the fossil camp if the OP had said, "It looks like bone, but is as heavy as a rock...", etc.

The first piece of fossilized bone that I found is as heavy as many rocks I've felt. It also makes a ceramic-like sound when tapped with a fingernail. If yours does have that "plinky" sound, rather than a "thuddy" one, well, maybe it is fossilized. Do bones fossilize with certain minerals that would make them light in weight? Maybe. I did read that fossilized bones preserved in tar-pit conditions can be shielded from bacteria, which can serve to preserve them in a lighter-weight form.

There's an informative discussion on this forum, for which I'll provide the link below. Good luck.

Fossil, no fossil.

The weight of a rock can very quite a bit and is not a good indication of fossil or not.

Some rock is very "light" and some is much heavier than would be expected from size.

I think this is a non fossil rock, but better pictures may change this opinion. (Just like @Fossildude19)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

This summer I'm bringing my finds to UW Madison fossil/geology dept. - Still going to post better photos when I find my misplaced digital camera, but, maybe UW will offer something to share also.