Help! i got one of my Makos Dirty!

tp45914

One of my nice Lee creek mako teeth were sitting in one of my pockets with a few Hershey's chocolates with paper wrappers (don't ask why I was pretty hungry). after I ate them all, I looked at my tooth, and to my dismay saw that what looked like the ink from the wrappers had rubbed onto the root. Aside from the weird story, I have tried using a toothbrush with soap and water, to no avail.

What would be the best way to get rid of the stain? I have attached before and after pics below. I know there are a few lighting differences, so I also put it aside one of my other lee creek makos that used to be a similar color as a reference to the darkness of the stain. Thanks.

IMG_5779.jpg

IMG_5780.jpg

IMG_5783.jpg

Will nail polish work? And will I have to scrub it down or should I just leave it? And no not really I just forgot about this one. XD

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

Use acetone that will sort it out. Do you take them nice teeth out with you a lot. :)

Edited by tp45914
Need to add more details

14 minutes ago, tp45914 said:

Will nail polish work?

Not nail polish, but nail polish remover! You do need to check the ingredients of the remover to be sure it is primarily acetone - many are. If it were mine I would dip a cotton swab in the remover (acetone) and kind of scrub the stained root. Following a little of that, I would rinse it under running water. Good luck, have fun.

• I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I would be more worried about mashing my lovespuds with those in my pocket, especially if you fell over.

Get an old tooth of the same composition and experiment with whats suggested above, DONT use Cillit Bang, my missus melted my poor starfish in the bathroom when she was cleaning, he has a leg missing now.

I would just buy some pure acetone because it is worth the little money it costs and a good tool to have in stock (great for removing glue spills ). And of course In case you get hungry again and need that cleaning power. Follow what my friend Snolly said and it will be fine. Good luck Bobby 

9 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Not nail polish, but nail polish remover! You do need to check the ingredients of the remover to be sure it is primarily acetone - many are. If it were mine I would dip a cotton swab in the remover (acetone) and kind of scrub the stained root. Following a little of that, I would rinse it under running water. Good luck, have fun.

Haha that’s what I meant! Thanks for the info I’ll be sure to try that!

10 hours ago, snolly50 said:

So I just tried it, and there don’t seem to be immediate results. Will I have to wait or should it be immediately visible? The root is porous, would that be an issue?

Edited by tp45914
Details

22 minutes ago, tp45914 said:

there don’t seem to be immediate results

Wow, if acetone was a solvent for the ink, the action should have been immediate. Are you sure its not dark chocolate instead of ink? :D

Sorry the acetone was not helpful, perhaps someone will relate experience with ink stains. Good luck.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I doubt it was the chocolate itself, maybe it was the dye from the clothing I was wearing? Idk but thanks for the help

On 1/11/2019 at 1:02 PM, JohnBrewer said:

everclear will do at a pinch. 

Hmm, where can I find a bootlegger at this time of day?

On 1/11/2019 at 5:03 AM, tp45914 said:

I doubt it was the chocolate itself, maybe it was the dye from the clothing I was wearing? Idk but thanks for the help

I have a Lebanon lobster fossil plate that I had wrapped up in a black T-shirt to "protect" it.  Mine did the same thing. I have yet to find a suitable method of removal. :(

On 1/11/2019 at 4:02 PM, JohnBrewer said:

everclear will do at a pinch. 

My hero!

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

4 hours ago, caldigger said:

I have a Lebanon lobster fossil plate that I had wrapped up in a black T-shirt to "protect" it.  Mine did the same thing. I have yet to find a suitable method of removal. :(

Oof that sucks... one of my friends said to pressure wash it but I will have to be careful 

Edited by tp45914
Adding details

3 minutes ago, tp45914 said:

Oof one of my friends said to pressure wash it but I will have to be careful 

Not sure about that sounds risky  . The tooth does not look to bad at all. Sorry the acetone did not work . Have you tried rubbing alcohol? 

52 minutes ago, tp45914 said:

Oof one of my friends said to pressure wash it but I will have to be careful 

Um, not recommending that one!

47 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Not sure about that sounds risky  . The tooth does not look to bad at all. Sorry the acetone did not work . Have you tried rubbing alcohol? 

If acetone didn't do it, alcohol likely won't come close to touching it. 

There is a product out there called GOOF OFF which is made to remove paint, stain, and other such "oops" from clothes and other surfaces. Probably couldn't hurt to at least give it a try.

16 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Um, not recommending that one!

If acetone didn't do it, alcohol likely won't come close to touching it. 

There is a product out there called GOOF OFF which is made to remove paint, stain, and other such "oops" from clothes and other surfaces. Probably couldn't hurt to at least give it a try.

It says goof off is for hard surfaces on the package, since I already had a bit laying around. The root is porous, so do you think I should still try it?

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

Yup, still doesn’t look like it works 

58 minutes ago, tp45914 said:

It says goof off is for hard surfaces on the package, since I already had a bit laying around. The root is porous, so do you think I should still try it?

I've used Goof Off on everything! It evaporates like Acetone so won't leave a residue.

If the root is not frail, You could try some toothpaste and an old toothbrush.

Give it a light scrubbing, then rinse.

It is also possible that some oils have gotten into the porous areas and caused the discoloring.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Was the tooth a fresh find when you put it in your pocket? I ask because the thread below is what came to mind as a possible explanation to the color change, especially since the solutions provided above haven’t been working.

• I found this Informative 1