Would you buy fossils from China?

aplomado

This question is directed at those of us who do buy fossils. 

Would you buy fossils from China?

Legally, it seems questionable.  They are highly available, which makes me wonder what is going on.

I would buy fossils from here, but only invertebrates since these are still legal (I think). Vertebrates I would also buy but only if they are from an old collection and from before the ban.

Selling illegal fossils only makes the rules worse imo. I don't want anymore playes that are shut down for collectors just because some people don't follow the rules.

I’ve purchased trilobites from China with no issues, legally or otherwise. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The only issue i faced was very long postage times and it got lost and turned up 3 months later.

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

I've purchased trilobites, insects, and a few fish from China. (on our favorite auction site.) 

I believe there are a few exceptions to the no export rule. 

Keichousaurs would be another, I believe. 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Some of the Chinese fossils sold on our favorite auction site are listed as having Hong Kong sellers.

It is my understanding Hong Kong may have different laws about fossil exports.

True or false?

I don’t buy from China saying that I really only buy from the TFF members and our favourite auction site. I do have some Chinese fossils in my collection like fish, insects  and Keichousaurs but all purchased in the uk.  I don’t like the hassle of importing fossil like extra cost or lost packages. But stick to the export rules and pay with paypal would be my advice.

25 minutes ago, aplomado said:

Some of the Chinese fossils sold on our favorite auction site are listed as having Hong Kong sellers.

It is my understanding Hong Kong may have different laws about fossil exports.

True or false?

It does I believe, I believe it's actually illegal to bring fossils from Mainland China into Hong Kong. I did find a seller who sold me some cool Chinese fossils while I was in Hong Kong.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).