Unknown theropod claw

kolleamm

Hi everyone,

This is a claw from Hell Creek Montana.

Can someone give me a better ID of what it is exactly?

Thanks!

IMG_9236.jpg

IMG_9237.jpg

Gonna need some of the dinosaur experts on this. I’ll put a comment in to bring it to the top of the topics so it gets seen easier.

nice fossil!

From the given pictures I have the feeling that the proximal end is nearly completely gone. That will make it harder to ID the piece.  Could you make a picture showing the proximal end  and one from above and beneath please? I think it's a digit I from a Tyrannosaurid (Either Tyrannosaurus rex or Nanotyrannus lancencis) but I am far from sure.

I also don't know the size of the coin. How much inch or centimeters is this piece? 

• I found this Informative 2

3 hours ago, gigantoraptor said:

I also don't know the size of the coin. How much inch or centimeters is this piece? 

United States nickel (5 cents) is ~2.2 centimeters in diameter.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for your responses, the claw measures 2.15 inches horizontally across (5.4 cm)

Here are some more images : Top, Bottom, Front

IMG_9238.jpg

IMG_9239.jpg

IMG_9240.jpg

This may be of some help. Here's Troodon's guide to identifying the claws of that age and area.

I believe it could be a section of Nanotyrannus claw but I'm not sure. It may also belong to an ornithimimid.

Based on the guide I doubt it's an ornithomimid foot claw since they are flat and lack a curve.

I think the claw is too wheathered to be 100% sure what species it is from. I don't think it's a foot claw from an Ornithomimid because of the curvature of this claw. 

I do see some similarities with digit III from the holotype of Dakotaraptor steini. 

IMG_20190113_091903.JPG.0d1ed2ea0dc6182daafc2486f2ca304e.JPG

If you want to be 100% sure (if that's possible) maybe you should contact a palaeontologist.

• I found this Informative 1

I’ve seen this claw before and it is likely from a dealer many of us know. It is highly restored, and very badly at that, as are many of this original dealer’s restorations in general. That’s all I’ll say about that because I have no idea how many hands it’s crossed in and out of since. 

Based on my experience and the strong lateral grooves, it appears to be the tip of and Anzu wyliei foot claw with awful restoration. 

Personally, I would stay away from it. Unless of course, you’ve already purchased it. If so...Uhm...

• I found this Informative 2

6 hours ago, hxmendoza said:

I’ve seen this claw before and it is likely from a dealer many of us know. It is highly restored, and very badly at that, as are many of this original dealer’s restorations in general. That’s all I’ll say about that because I have no idea how many hands it’s crossed in and out of since. 

Based on my experience and the strong lateral grooves, it appears to be the tip of and Anzu wyliei foot claw with awful restoration. 

Personally, I would stay away from it. Unless of course, you’ve already purchased it. If so...Uhm...

Unfortunately I already purchased it for about $300. It seemed like a good deal since the claw is fairly large, but yes I was told there is restoration to it. 

Thanks to all for your input