Wrightsville Beach Fossil

Anchiornis

On my recent visit to Wrightsville Beach, NC, about 2 weeks ago, I found the shore scattered not only with large amounts of the usual shells, but also large, rocky chunks of the seafloor. Among them, I found large granite blocks and pieces of seafloor containing nondescript bivalve impressions. However, I also found this strange fossil(?) lying on the shore (although I did not collect it). What is it? It looks like a piece of shipworm-infested wood, although it felt pretty hard in texture. Could it be petrified shipworm wood?IMG_6323.thumb.JPG.3ced2b015387ad0cd5a0adaeaf6e0262.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Serpulid worm tube mass I think. 

1 hour ago, Al Dente said:

Wow, thank you! Is there any evidence for this being a fossil, or is this a more recent one? And if it is a fossil, what rock formation did in come from? I've heard of Oligocene outcrops offshore from Wrightsville; could it be from those?

5 hours ago, Anchiornis said:

I've heard of Oligocene outcrops offshore from Wrightsville; could it be from those?

If the larger circular shape in the upper right can be identified it could be helpful in determining this.

The colony may have formed a mold around something, or it may have been bored by bivalves in the same manner as shipworms do wood.