Should I split this pyrite lump from charmouth?

Marlowe

I found this unusually shaped lump of pyrite in Charmouth UK (Jurassic) and am wondering what it will look like inside. Here is the lump in question:

5c39e391c490a_20190112_1248162.thumb.jpg.35ccad26fe17183ed2b4cdaff63930c8.jpg

I recently split the below lump, found in Folkestone UK (Albian), And this is what it looked like inside:5c39e42264029_20190112_1248541.thumb.jpg.6eb88ccb319f961d717be93cc115126a.jpg

Will I get a similar result with the new lump as with the old one or would twatting it with a hammer be a waste of my time?

• I found this Informative 3

Probably a waste of time. 

However, I'd give it a whack anyway. :D

You never know................

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

The question here is, do you find the whole unbroken piece to be estheticly pleasing enough to keep as is? Otherwise you've got nothing to lose and ending your curiosity to gain.

Give'er a whack!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Either way, it has interesting form. Curious if it would even split nicely.

The other split quite well, but the lumpy one might not.

Please post outcome if you do it.:popcorn:

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

Pyrite or  ... marcassite !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

11 hours ago, Coco said:

Pyrite or  ... marcassite !

Coco

The folkestone one ,on quick internet search, does look like marcassite but the charmouth one doesn't so it's probably not worth whacking, but what about this massive lump?

5c3cef065dd4c_20190114_2016061.thumb.jpg.c29987ec75ce4da4954fca1abad96596.jpg

Some sort of expert at a fossil festival told me that if I broke it, it would explode and hurt me. Does anyone know for sure if this will happen? Is it pyrite or marcassite?! Is whatever's inside worth the effort?!?!

6 hours ago, Marlowe said:

Some sort of expert at a fossil festival told me that if I broke it, it would explode and hurt me.

Beware of rocks laden with nitroglycerin!!!:rofl:

I doubt it would "explode", but pieces are known to "fly" off when hitting rocks. Also a rock like yours could fracture into many pieces. Lighter hits may have better results.

You should always wear eye protection when hitting rocks.

6 hours ago, Marlowe said:

Is it pyrite or marcassite?! Is whatever's inside worth the effort?!?!

Pyrite is brite metallic yellow colored mineral (like "gold"), marcassite is a metallic "silver" colored mineral.

Both will oxidize to limenite - a rust colored iron oxide.

The only way to know is to do it.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Pyrite is a particularly unpleasant substance, in that it's full of sulphur. If you break it make sure you do it outside and don't breathe in any dust that may result.

7 hours ago, Aurelius said:

Pyrite is a particularly unpleasant substance, in that it's full of sulphur. If you break it make sure you do it outside and don't breathe in any dust that may result.

Thanks for the warning!

Might the sulfur be at high pressure? maybe that is what the guy at the fossil festival was talking about.

1 hour ago, Marlowe said:

Thanks for the warning!

Might the sulfur be at high pressure? maybe that is what the guy at the fossil festival was talking about.

Seriously doubt that!  He likely was just warning about the rock shrapnel from breaking into many pieces.

9 hours ago, Aurelius said:

Just don't break it on a pile of coal and saltpeter.

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG