possible Ontario river fossils?

Wrangellian

Can anyone identify the possible location where these might have been picked up? These are some of the last remaining unidentified and un-located items that I acquired from the old rockhound couple in Nanaimo, that caused me to come to TFF for ID help in the first place. I'm only getting around to it now. These aren't the most spectacular or important fossils, but it's always worth it if you can attach some info to them. Otherwise I'll eventually toss them out for garden rockery, probably.

I thought I saw some similar items that someone had posted not too long ago, from a river in Ontario, in a town that started with P - Pickering? But I never followed up on it and I can't find that topic now.

I suspect these are all from the same area, whatever area that is. They're all Paleozoic marine, and all but #3 are water-worn.

First: This first piece I have already posted but I never got any confident answers about it. Maybe combined with the others I'll get further with it.

5c39e6ed43037_DSC_0187-shrcro.thumb.jpg.5bb428c8520924e6ac35b014bf65dfa1.jpg

5c39e6f07bc5b_DSC_01830-shrcro.thumb.jpg.12d70fd2df755b633fdc15023daefb61.jpg

DSC_0185-cro.thumb.jpg.c0bc5d78a36a9f8952337a5d8e344705.jpg

DSC_0186-shr.thumb.jpg.73a442ab682b9dfb6536c4536a83025a.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Piece #3:

The masking take seems to say 'Peg 9', but I can't imagine what that would mean.

Peg 9 (1).jpg

Peg 9 (2).jpg

Peg 9 (3).jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Others may find it useful to see what was said already about the initial pieces posted here.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Now that you have a better lead on the provenance (possibly Pickering?) on that first piece, that would likely put it in the Mid to Upper Ordovician range. I've seen nearly identical matrix and brachs in the Hillier Member of the Cobourg (formerly Lindsay) Formation near Oshawa (which is near Pickering, and about the same strata). As you reach the upper end of the Cobourg, it begins transitioning more to the shale of the Collingwood Member of the Whitby Fm. This piece may be one of the intercalated shale partings in the Hillier Mbr that indicated a brief interval of either higher sea levels and more mud, or tidal storm wave base activity.

As for identifying the specific brachs in that one, I couldn't venture a guess as brachs are not my forte. However, this might help you pin this down if you dig through any of the faunal lists of the Cobourg/Lindsay Fms. 

This is what I drew from Bill Hessin's thesis on the paleoecology of the Hillier and Hallowell Members:

"The strophomenids Sowerbyella subovalis and Rafinesquina alternata are ubiquitous species in the Cobourg Formation. [...] The association preserved in the Hallowell Member also typically includes the brachiopods Glyptomena sp., Paucicrura sp. and Dinorthis iphigenia. The spiriferid Cyclospira bisulcata is a common brachiopod of the association in sediments constituting the Hillier Member." (1988, p. 40). 

• I found this Informative 6

48 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Piece #2:

waterworn brachs (1).jpg

waterworn brachs (2).jpg

And these look very similar to Dundee Fm deposits around my area, particularly the crinoidal hash layers. There is a strophomenid on the first side, and a spiriferid on the other. 

• I found this Informative 4

Thanks Kane, that's at least something.

btw I can't even recall whether it was the first piece or some of the others that were reminiscent of the other ones I saw on TFF.. so that may not be much of a lead.

4 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Piece #2:

waterworn brachs (2).jpg

If there are plications in the sulcus of the brachiopod in this piece (I can't tell for sure from the photo on my phone), it could be an orthid.  Spiriferids are extremely rare in the Ordovician and only in the latest Ordovician.  So whether or not it's a spiriferid can be helpful in discerning age 

• I found this Informative 2

Hmmm... I can't see for sure - it is only an impression and what there is of it is only about 8mm across - but doesn't seem to have any.

28 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Hmmm... I can't see for sure - it is only an impression and what there is of it is only about 8mm across - but doesn't seem to have any.

Ok. I thought I was seeing ghosts of plications, but maybe not.

20190112_222657.jpg.7616b878562fef53a5d12868b6dcd138.jpg