Nimravis

New Digital Microscope

Nimravis
15 minutes ago, Mediospirifer said:

Sweet!

Now you just need to figure out image stacking... :D

I don’t know what that is or what it does, but I will check into it.

BobWill

Someone who knows about this please help me understand what the difference is. I am ready to try something better than my $20 plugable scope too. Is it a matter of the number of pixels or is there something more to whatever makes better quality images?

Mediospirifer

That's when you mount your scope (or specimen) on an adjustable platform ("focus rail" for a camera; I use my stereo microscope mount for my digital scopes), so that you can take photos at several distances from the specimen.

You'll find that for some 3D specimens, it's impossible to get the entire piece in focus in one shot at high magnification. With image stacking, you can take a bunch of photos, each of which has a different part of the specimen in focus, and combine them using a software package like Adobe Photoshop into one image where everything is sharp. 

Here's a comment I found useful: LINK.

Mediospirifer
12 minutes ago, BobWill said:

Someone who knows about this please help me understand what the difference is. I am ready to try something better than my $20 plugable scope too. Is it a matter of the number of pixels or is there something more to whatever makes better quality images?

I'm not sure. I suspect it's partly pixels, and partly optics quality. 

DPS Ammonite

Compact digital cameras can take good up close photos. @Nimravis and @BobWilllet’s compare your image of the “20 USA” on a $20 US bill that I took with my camera with your microscopes. See my post: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/67540-comparison-of-macro-photos-from-cameras-magnifiers/&tab=comments#comment-709702

Show us what your picture of “20 USA”  looks like.

UtahFossilHunter

Wow, those are some impressive pictures. Makes me want to get one eventually.:ighappy: nice job!

BobWill

I'm not interested in getting a camera. I want to get a better variable working-distance microscope I can use with my laptop. The $20 plugable seems grainy. The specs show it to be 2MP. Is that mega pixels? If so how many MP would it take to get better images like those with the Amscope?  It seems to have 3.5 MP but their website has it for closer to $300. Is there a less expensive way to get better microscopic images at a variable distance? You can't get a large specimen under a regular microscope if it has a small portion you want a close-up of.

Innocentx
14 hours ago, Nimravis said:

It works- Whoo Hooo

:dinothumb:

Packy

Nice, the stacking was easy just choose the group and go. How many pixels is the camera?   Packy

Packy

I had bought a amscope stereo trinocular, it came with a .03 mp, I could not get it  to be not blurry. Sent it back for a 10 mp, I hope to get much better photos.  The microscope was awesome, anxious to get the better camera.  This is the best I could do after using the sharpening software.  It looked way better in the eyepiece.  The photos were better with low light.  Packy

Pupae Eocene Florissant teller Co Co-.jpg

JohnBrewer
14 hours ago, Nimravis said:

I don’t know what that is or what it does, but I will check into it.

Amscope do have software for stacking but you will need a stage which rises and falls. Do you focus via the pc or by the camera itself?

JohnBrewer
18 minutes ago, Packy said:

I had bought a amscope stereo trinocular, it came with a .03 mp, I could not get it  to be not blurry. Sent it back for a 10 mp, I hope to get much better photos.  The microscope was awesome, anxious to get the better camera.  This is the best I could do after using the sharpening software.  It looked way better in the eyepiece.  The photos were better with low light.  Packy

Pupae Eocene Florissant teller Co Co-.jpg

I’ve not had any issues with my 3mp camera but it does depend on if you want to print out and what size. It’s just occurred that the stacking software may use multiple 3mp images giving a higher res. If not stacking in photoshop will. 

Nimravis
6 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Amscope do have software for stacking but you will need a stage which rises and falls. Do you focus via the pc or by the camera itself?

By the camera itself.

JohnBrewer
1 minute ago, Nimravis said:

By the camera itself.

Ah, that could be problematic for stacking unless you can keep the camera steady each time you focus but you would be able to line things up in photoshop I would have thought  

Mediospirifer
1 hour ago, Nimravis said:

By the camera itself.

You need to be able to set a fixed focus, then move the camera (or the subject) closer or farther with a stage. Autofocus at the camera may not work if it consistently chooses the same feature as a focal point.

You also need a stage that won't move horizontally as it moves vertically (using a frame of reference where the camera is looking down at the sample). My first makeshift stage was a lab-jack; it would move sideways by tiny increments as I raised it towards the camera. This did not improve the image quality!

Nimravis
5 minutes ago, Mediospirifer said:

You need to be able to set a fixed focus, then move the camera (or the subject) closer or farther with a stage. Autofocus at the camera may not work if it consistently chooses the same feature as a focal point.

You also need a stage that won't move horizontally as it moves vertically (using a frame of reference where the camera is looking down at the sample). My first makeshift stage was a lab-jack; it would move sideways by tiny increments as I raised it towards the camera. This did not improve the image quality!

Thanks- looks like I will be a point and shoot guy. Lol

Mediospirifer
9 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Thanks- looks like I will be a point and shoot guy. Lol

I have a Stereozoom microscope, and the platform for that makes an excellent stage for holding my standalone digital microscope. That would probably be tricky for yours, though. Mine is a lot smaller.