Large Bone Id Help Needed!

Guest FastFingersFurley

Guest FastFingersFurley

Hi all. I am new here and thought I would make my first post start out with a BANG!! Any help at all with the identification of this large bone fragment would be awesome. At this point I prefer to keep the details to a minimum about the object itself. The dimensions are: 12" long x 10" wide x 8 1/2" thick. The shiny object to the right is a stainless steel 12" ruler.

THANKS!!!!

post-2278-1253587510211_thumb.jpg

post-2278-12535875217223_thumb.jpg

post-2278-12535875309342_thumb.jpg

post-2278-12535875404502_thumb.jpg

Guest FastFingersFurley

I know, right? It weighs eight pounds and it is NOT coral. A vet of large animal science from the local zoo took one look at it and said it was a large piece of coral. Either he does not know what coral looks like or he does not know what bone looks like.

coral, huh? wow. i don't know how many things were that big, and you of course haven't helped a bit, but it's from a ginormous probably pleistocene critter, like a mammoth, mastodon, giant sloth or some such scariness. and no, i haven't looked at any comparison pictures yet. where's "the guys"? they're here - they'll weigh in directly...

coral my butt.

um, sorry gatorman, but you did say that you laughed your butt off yesterday, so i figured butt references were de rigueur now or sompin...

Yeah, there's absolutely no doubt at all that its a very large broken bone.. I'm with Tracer thinking its a mammoth or mastodon. I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable will chime in here with an ID.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

tracer is being gracious; take note of it....

FastFingersFurley compare your bone fragment with the photos HERE. I hope your screen name refers to musical ability rather than kletomania. :P

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Guest FastFingersFurley

You all are awesome!! JohnJ, I did check that site and that is the one!! .......here is the excerpt of the size and weight, "Although fractured into several pieces, the re-assembled bone is just over 48 inches long and probably around 120 lbs! It's massive and huge!"....

My piece weighs only eight pounds and is still organic. I chipped a small piece of the cortical bone with my fingernail. Does that help? Would an elephant bone size in at the dimensions of my bone fragmet, or....?

For JohnJ =

Furley, the size is comparable to the distal end in this photo.

post-420-12535930536707_thumb.jpg

post-420-12535931238921_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

My piece weighs only eight pounds and is still organic. I chipped a small piece of the cortical bone with my fingernail. Does that help? Would an elephant bone size in at the dimensions of my bone fragmet, or....?

with this sort of fossil, it is what it is. the relative degree to which it is mineralized is just sort of a bonus issue. the really large bones i've found seem less solidly mineralized for the most part than a lot of the smaller ones.

Archived