drbush

Hi friends ,can you help me with this ,I went to Aruma formation area (Cretaceous) to the north of Riyadh and found a huge gastropod , it is 21cm long , 40 cm circum and 16 cm wide , it was a surface find  . what could it be ?

IMG_2019-01-12_22-35-19.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

It looks a Strombidae... I see  deep sutures and spiral ribs on the composite mould. Probably a Harpagodes sp. TFF experts will tell you more or correct this.

• I found this Informative 2

Try to find somewhere El Asa’ad, G.M.A., 1977. A Contribution to the Geology of the Aruma Formation in Central Saudi Arabia. Unpubl. Ph.D. Thesis, Mansoura University, 384 p., maybe there are precious informations regarding to the gastropods of your area.

Harpagodes (which might be close to your specimen) doesn't appear in Gameil and El-Sorogy, 2015 revision, describing the gastropods of the Hajajah Member of the Aruma Formation. If the specimen was a surface find, it might be from the overlaying Linah Member of the same formation, in my thinking.

Harpagodes is in the faunal list of this older (1966) document, but with a question mark.

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library