Oligocene Nibbler?

PaleoNoel

I want to confirm that this bone fragment has the evidence of gnawing from a rodent or other mammal on it and if it's a common occurrence or not. Found this summer in the White River fm of eastern Wyoming. 

Here's both sides of the fossil-

IMG_E3487.thumb.JPG.e6e01718df75dec123ea7793b853d36e.JPGIMG_E3488.thumb.JPG.b4154ae9654ff20d9776b93b65ce9dc4.JPG

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

Neat bone, thanks for sharing.

You're absolutely welcome, it was only through later inspection that I realized a couple pieces I picked up had this feature.

3 minutes ago, werepanther said:

Almost like two fossils in one!

Yeah I know what you mean, it's like finding a piece of whale bone with marks on it from being eaten by sharks.

Totally agree that this is rodent gnawing marks on this bone fragment. I’ve collected White River a fair amount and have found quite a bit of material with these types of marks. This summer I found a large Titanothere tooth with gnaw marks all other the long white tooth root. In fact it looked very similar to the one above. Nice find and tells a good story about the scavenger interactions. 

• I found this Informative 1

Yeah that does look like gnaw marks. I've seen similar marks on dinosaur bones that are apparently invertebrate gnaw marks.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite