Cretaceous Mammal Jaw?

PaleoNoel

I found this the summer before last at a lance fm microsite. The interesting thing about this microsite is that many of the fossils come in a conglomerate matrix which contain pieces of bone, teeth and scales from basically everything that can be found in the area. The guide I was with believed this was a section of cretaceos mammal jaw, likely a larger mammal (for the time) like didelphodon. Unfortunately, none of the teeth were preserved with it so it would be hard to label it as anything beyond a general description. Also it is attached to a a larger piece of conglomerate with a small chunk of bone probably from a dinosaur.

Here are both sides of the fossil.

IMG_E3490.thumb.JPG.00f6fd95159292efff151755f82e7025.JPG

IMG_E3493.thumb.JPG.157ae4b61a8aaefd2179486ac22bfba9.JPG

Yes, I’d say it’s Didelphodon as well. This looks to be part of the rear section of a lower jaw. There are plenty of Cretaceous mammals but most were really small. Didelphodon was the largest which aligns to this jaw. 

• I found this Informative 1

6 hours ago, PalaeoArt said:

Yes, I’d say it’s Didelphodon as well. This looks to be part of the rear section of a lower jaw. There are plenty of Cretaceous mammals but most were really small. Didelphodon was the largest which aligns to this jaw. 

Thank you! That's a big help to me.