caloosahatchee possible antler? & which scallop

dalmayshun

On my recent trip to the Caloosahatchee (while waiting for the Peace River to descend a bit) a friend and I went to our favorite place, as I recounted on my recent A DAY ON THE CALOOSAHATCHEE post under the Trips section of the forum. Besides the things I can identify, I found what I think is a piece of antler, though it doesn't look like a whitetail deer antler to me, so I hope someone might be able to help ID it. 

I also found a small delicate scallop I was not able to ID . Over the years I found many kinds of scallops, i seem to recall seeing a similar one once in a post identifying Ft Thompson formation scallops, but can't locate that now. Any help in the little scallop would also be appreciated. And finally, we found 1 exceptional Vasum Horridum that i showed under my Trip post. The one posted here, had a few broken points, but still has cleaned up well and doesn't look as shabby as when I first found it. I these Vasum are spectacular, and the complete ones are extraordinary. (OOPS, THE VASUM IMAGES RAN PAST MY ALLOWED SPACE, SO i'LL GO BACK TO MY TRIP POST AND ADD THEM IN THERE) 

20190113_124309-picsay.jpg

Whitetail deer antler, worn.jpg

Deer antler, bottom is very round (1).jpg

unknown antler top.jpg

unknown antler bottom side.jpg

Unknown  antler one flattish curved side.jpg

unknown antler, other edge view.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

the round one, with the bumps near the base is definitely whitetail deer...( 2 images, side and bottom to show its roundness) . the other one is flattened, just doesn't look like deer antler to me. It is the last four images, surface, undersurface, one side, then the other side. Hope that helps. 

What's the age there? The shell looks like aviculopectin.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

fairly recent, Pleistocene, or Pliocene...Tamiami Formation...though some Ft Thompson formation also in the general area. 

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, dalmayshun said:

On my recent trip to the Caloosahatchee (while waiting for the Peace River to descend a bit) a friend and I went to our favorite place, as I recounted on my recent A DAY ON THE CALOOSAHATCHEE post under the Trips section of the forum. Besides the things I can identify, I found what I think is a piece of antler, though it doesn't look like a whitetail deer antler to me, so I hope someone might be able to help ID it. 

I also found a small delicate scallop I was not able to ID . Over the years I found many kinds of scallops, i seem to recall seeing a similar one once in a post identifying Ft Thompson formation scallops, but can't locate that now. Any help in the little scallop would also be appreciated. And finally, we found 1 exceptional Vasum Horridum that i showed under my Trip post. The one posted here, had a few broken points, but still has cleaned up well and doesn't look as shabby as when I first found it. I these Vasum are spectacular, and the complete ones are extraordinary. (OOPS, THE VASUM IMAGES RAN PAST MY ALLOWED SPACE, SO i'LL GO BACK TO MY TRIP POST AND ADD THEM IN THERE) 

20190113_124309-picsay.jpg

2 hours ago, Innocentx said:

What's the age there? The shell looks like aviculopectin.

It does doesnt it...not sure how that lineage worked out....are they only Paleozoic/Mesozoic?

I'm wondering if this maybe is Lindapecten muscosus? Am looking for the ribcount...

Regards, Chris 

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Some antlers have tines that branch near the shedding point. That may account for the almost web like spread of it.

@Harry Pristis Would probably know better.

I agree with Rockwood, some antler portions -- even the base sometimes -- are out of round.

deer_antlerbase_C.thumb.JPG.130deb60e18a7b891c99da8de1f11442.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

It's hard to tell for sure from the photo, but the third photo of the base of the antler looks to be slightly concave which would indicate that it had been shed.