Natural vs Restored

Darktooth

Here I have 3 teeth from Moracco. One is 100% Natural. One has had restoration to the root. The 3rd broke, probably during extraction, and was glued back together. The first tooth is an Otodus, I bought back in the early to mid 2000's at a fossil and mineral show. One dealer had a bunch of these teeth in a box. At the time I had just gotten into collecting sharkteeth and didn't have much experience with restorations. I suspected that there may have been some work done, but at $5 a piece I figured it was not a big deal. So I bought a few for myself and my kids. If you look at the root you can see it is two tone color. The grey portion is the real part of the root the tan/white potion is were they took matrix and glue to make a mortar which was used to fill in missing or imperfect areas. This past summer I was at my club's show, and picked up tooth #2. Again an Otodus from Moracco. But this is a Beautiful all natural tooth that I picked up for $10. Look at the difference in the roots of both teeth. The 3rd tooth is a Paleocarcharadon also from Moracco. This tooth broke through the root in two places, where the cusps meet the blade on both sides. The breaks look very clean and fit back in place pretty well. To the naked eye they simply look like cracks. But upon viewing under magnification you can see the use of glue and a tiny bit of matrix used the hide the breaks somewhat. I don't know if anyone will be able to see that from my pics but I wanted to at least show what I could. None of these teeth were expensive so really don't bother me. But these are things to look for when considering purchasing more pricey fossil teeth. 

20190109_224732.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Very nice teeth indeed! :)

Good to show folk what to look out for when purchasing. 

Morraco? :(

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I love the Paleocarcharodon. 

• I found this Informative 1

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Yeah, you can get these for a very reasonable price nowadays.  I used to sell a bunch of these teeth back in the day.  NIce of you to show everyone about the restoration these can have.   Just a little bit of experience and one can get a good eye of what to look for with these kind of teeth.  Thanks Darktooth.

RB

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Looks like @Darktooth misspelled Monaco. Of course, Monaco is known for its Otodus obliquus teeth, Spinosaur teeth, and trilobites. :rofl:

• I found this Informative 4

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Just now, UtahFossilHunter said:

Looks like @Darktooth misspelled Monaco. Of course, Monaco is known for its Otodus obliquus teeth, Spinosaur teeth, and trilobites. :rofl:

Hmmmm. :ank:

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Very nice teeth indeed! :)

Good to show folk what to look out for when purchasing. 

Thanks Adam. I absolutely love the Otodus I picked up this past summer. It is a absolute beauty. For $10 you can't go wrong. Sorry though, I was not trying to pick on your homeland. These were the only examples I had.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

1 minute ago, Darktooth said:

Thanks Adam. I absolutely love the Otodus I picked up this past summer. It is a absolute beauty. For $10 you can't go wrong. Sorry though, I was not trying to pick on your homeland. These were the only examples I had.

No, I didn't think you were picking on us. 

But it's 'Morocco' ! ;)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

1 hour ago, SailingAlongToo said:

I love the Paleocarcharodon. 

I do as well. This tooth was not expensive either. Despite being glued back together, it was such a good job that I have no problem with it really. But if I was spending a bunch of money, on let's say a big Meg, I personally would not like it glued.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

2 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

No, I didn't think you were picking on us. 

But it's 'Morocco' ! ;)

Noted!:D

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I do wish I could get better pics of the cracks and glue on the Paleo, but my phones camera will only do so much.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg