My trilobite of the week.

rew

I haven't done a midweek bonus trilobite in a while so here's one.  Trilobite #73 is Metacanthina issoumourensis, a common Early Devonian acastid from Jbel Issoumour, Morocco.  This is an above average size specimen, with no restoration.

dorsal-cleaned-rotated-small.jpg

front-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

left-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Trilobite of the week #74 is Minicryphaeus giganteus, an early Devonian (Pragian) bug from Oufaten, Alnif, Morocco.  It is distinguished by its triangular rostrum.

dorsal-cleaned-cropped-rotated-small.jpg

dorsolateral-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

anteriolateral-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

This week's mid week bonus trilobite, #75, is a Devonian proetid from Ofaten, Morocco, Cyphaspis walteri.  Everybody likes this bug.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

front-cropped-small.jpg

side-and-back-small.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

This thread isn’t getting the attention it deserves. Come on guys and gals, leave a comment if you look at this thread. I feel it’s been a long while since TFF had a thread of this caliber..

Mate, you have an awesome collection. Anything from Australia? :)

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

I have no Australian trilobites.  (A couple of crinoids, yes, but no trilobites.)  Australia has some awesome Cambrian bugs, but alas, so far as I know they come from a site that is now off limits to commercial collecting. 

I get the most comments when I misidentify something, which is often enough.

The long spined Cyphaspides trilobite on page 5 of this long thread now has a formal name.  It's Cyphaspides nicoleae.

25 minutes ago, rew said:

The long spined Cyphaspides trilobite on page 5 of this long thread now has a formal name.  It's Cyphaspides nicoleae.

I've edited the name on it for you.  ;)  

They quality of your collection is frankly, quite stunning.  :wub: 
I've been enjoying it very much. 
Thanks for keeping it going.  :D 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Official trilobite of the week #76 is a common Devonian Cheirurid from Laatchana, Morocco, Crotalocephalina gibbus.  It may be common, but it's also a pretty cool trilobite.  The nice thing about Morocco is that they have some cool bugs you can buy without remortgaging your house.

right-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

hypostome-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

This one is ultra cool, having the hypostome partially exposed!  :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 10/10/2019 at 6:59 PM, Ash said:

This thread isn’t getting the attention it deserves. Come on guys and gals, leave a comment if you look at this thread. I feel it’s been a long while since TFF had a thread of this caliber..

Mate, you have an awesome collection. Anything from Australia? :)

Centropleura phoenix is one of the most awesome bugs anywhere but I'm highly unlikely to see that Australian trilobite anywhere outside of a museum:

https://www.amnh.org/research/paleontology/collections/fossil-invertebrate-collection/trilobite-website/gallery-of-trilobites/cambrian-period-trilobites/cambrian-trilobites-of-australia-alphabetized

On 10/11/2019 at 9:27 PM, rew said:

Centropleura phoenix is one of the most awesome bugs anywhere but I'm highly unlikely to see that Australian trilobite anywhere outside of a museum:

https://www.amnh.org/research/paleontology/collections/fossil-invertebrate-collection/trilobite-website/gallery-of-trilobites/cambrian-period-trilobites/cambrian-trilobites-of-australia-alphabetized

Wow never seen this trilobite before. I bet it would cost an arm and a leg to acquire such a specimen! I agree with @Ash, your collection is immaculate. Little known fact you may not realize though, you have contributed to my collection as well lol!

I have been following this thread and have seen every page. Didn't want to interrupt the flow by posting, and was busy wiping drool off the desk. Keep the goodies coming. I'm lovin' it.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

The mid-week bonus trilobite is a bit late this week.  It is #77, Amecephalus idahoense a Middle Cambrian trilobite from the Spence Shale of Miner's Hollow in the Wellsville Mountains of Utah.

dorsal-cropped-rotated-small.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

On 10/10/2019 at 6:59 PM, Ash said:

This thread isn’t getting the attention it deserves. Come on guys and gals, leave a comment if you look at this thread...

I think this thread just leaves us speechless.:popcorn:

• I Agree 1

This thread started with my Meadowtownella crosotus specimen, formerly Primaspis crosotus.  Trilobite of the week #78 is my other member of the genus, Meadowtownella trentonensis, an Ordovician Ondontopleurid from the Walcott-Rust quarry in Russia, New York.

right-front-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

BTW, one advantage of photographing my trilobites is that, particularly for the smaller ones (the M. trentonensis is only a bit over 1 cm in length) I can see details that aren't visible to the naked eye.  I didn't know this specimen has fringes of short spines on the free cheeks until I took the pictures.  (This feature is more visible on M. crosotus.)

I still have the magnifying macro lens on my camera so it's going to be little trilobites until I get around to changing the lens.  This week's trilobite, #79, is a Late Ordovician proetid from the Bobcaygeon Formation of Bellesville, Ontario called Cyphoproetus milleri.  This humble bug is the only Ordovician member of the Proetidae in my collection.

A question for any proetid experts out there:  Do you consider the Phillipsiidae to be a distinct family from the Proetidae, or the former to be a subfamily of the latter?

13 hours ago, rew said:

I still have the magnifying macro lens on my camera so it's going to be little trilobites until I get around to changing the lens.  This week's trilobite, #79, is a Late Ordovician proetid from the Bobcaygeon Formation of Bellesville, Ontario called Cyphoproetus milleri.  This humble bug is the only Ordovician member of the Proetidae in my collection.

The species from Canada is: Cyphoproetus wilsonae

Sinclair, G.W. 1944

Some Ordovician Trilobites from Ontario. Transactions of the Royal Canadian Institute, 25(1):15-20

13 hours ago, rew said:

A question for any proetid experts out there:  Do you consider the Phillipsiidae to be a distinct family from the Proetidae, or the former to be a subfamily of the latter?

Phillipsiidae is a distinct family originally established by Oehlert 1886 and redefined by Hahn, Hahn, Brauckmann 1980.

Published Phillipsiidae Subfamiles

Anujaspidinae

Archegoninae
Bollandiinae
Conophillipsiinae
Cummingellinae
Cyrtosymbolinae
Cytispininae
Ditomopyginae

Griffithidinae
Linguaphillipsiinae
Phillipsiinae

Thaiaspidinae
Weaniinae
Weberiphillipsiinae

Hahn, G., Hahn, R., Brauckmann, C. 1980. Die Trilobiten des belgischen Kohlenkalkes (Unter-Karbon). 1. Proetinae, Cyrtosymbolinae, and Aulacopleuridae.

[The Trilobites of the Belgian Carboniferous limestone (Lower Carboniferous). 1. Proetinae, Cyrtosymbolinae, and Aulacopleuridae.] Geologica et Palaeontologica, 14:165-188

Oehlert, M.D. 1886

Étude sur quelques trilobites du groupe des Proetidae. [Study on some trilobites of the group of the Proetidae.]

Bulletin de la Société d'Etudes Scientifiques d'Angers, Nouvelle Série, 15:121-134

• I found this Informative 4

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I noticed that Sam Gon's web site doesn't list Phillipsiidae as a family and lumps all it's genera into Proetidae.  Hence my question.  I realize that the genera listing on his site may be outdated in some respects.

10 hours ago, rew said:

What distinguishes Cyphoproetus milleri  from Cyphoproetus wilsonae?

The name Cyphoproetus milleri has not been published and is not valid.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

8 hours ago, piranha said:

The name Cyphoproetus milleri has not been published and is not valid.

Well, I guess that's a good enough reason not to use C. milleri.

I have a mid-week bonus trilobite, #80, Bathyurus extans, a Middle Ordovician proetid from the Black River Group of Watertown, New York.  This bug is the only one I have in the family Bathyuridae.

back-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg