My trilobite of the week.

rew

1 hour ago, Ruger9a said:

Love the clear, macro photos.  I can't ever seem to get photographs that precise.  Wonderful collection.

Thanks.  Someday I'll post how I do the photography in the photography section, if anyone is interested.

• I found this Informative 2

On 28/12/2019 at 10:47 PM, rew said:

Trilobite of the week #92 is a Middle Devonian harpetid from the Tazoulait Formation of Boudib, Morocco that is generally placed in the genus Scotoharpes.  I don't think it has a formal description yet.  This specimen is essentially prone, most have some degree of enrollment.  You can see many of the small pits in the head shield; it is believed that these may have contained small hairs that detected vibrations and sound, compensating for the poor vision of the small eyes.

dorsal-cleaned-rotated-small.jpg

dorsolateral-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

front-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

You have a nice collection there !:envy:

• I found this Informative 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

21 hours ago, rew said:

Thanks.  Someday I'll post how I do the photography in the photography section, if anyone is interested.

I certainly am too.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

In memory of Doren

Trilobite of the week #93 is an Ordovician Raphiophorid from Zagoria, Morocco, Ampyx priscus.  These blind trilobites had long genal spines and a long forward spine, making them both simple and weird at the same time.  This bug often has fake spines.  This specimen was U.S. prepared and nothing came off when I applied solvent to the spines, so I'm pretty sure the spines are real.

dorsal-cropped-small.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

On 1/4/2020 at 8:28 PM, rew said:

Trilobite of the week #93 is an Ordovician Raphiophorid from Zagoria, Morocco, Ampyx priscus.  These blind trilobites had long genal spines and a long forward spine, making them both simple and weird at the same time.  This bug often has fake spines.  This specimen was U.S. prepared and nothing came off when I applied solvent to the spines, so I'm pretty sure the spines are real.

dorsal-cropped-small.jpg

Nice !

In memory of Doren

Trilobite #94 has to be a special bug -- it's the one year anniversary of this thread.  This is a Devonian Odontopleurid, Koneprusia dahmani, from the Timrhanrhart Formation of Jbel Gara Et Zguilma, Morocco.

dorsal-cleaned-cropped-rotated-small.jpg

left-cleaned-patched-cropped-small.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

Amazing! 

A trilobite a week and after a year you are up to 94? Reminds me of when I go fossil hunting, "Dad, can we go home now?  Ok, just one more hour" :default_rofl: 

This is a wonderful thread and a wonderful collection. Keep it going!

15 hours ago, Scylla said:

Amazing! 

A trilobite a week and after a year you are up to 94? Reminds me of when I go fossil hunting, "Dad, can we go home now?  Ok, just one more hour" :default_rofl: 

This is a wonderful thread and a wonderful collection. Keep it going!

Well, there have been a number of mid-week bonus trilobites.

I am SOOOOOO happy I'm not the one who had to prep that one!!!!!! That is just AMAZING.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 1/13/2020 at 12:24 AM, rew said:

Well, there have been a number of mid-week bonus trilobites.

About 42, right?;) I love the bonuses

Well, I've done an entire year of trilobite posts and there hasn't been a single member of the Dalmanitidae.   I fix that here.  Trilobite #95 is of Early Devonian age from Clarita, Oklahoma -- Huntonia huntonensis.  This isn't one of those radical spiny bugs, but it's a pretty and classic Black Cat Mountain trilobite.

dorsolateral-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Campbell 1977 established Huntonia but it was already preoccupied by a modern isopod:

Huntonia Vandel 1973  Family: Philosciidae. Type species: Huntonia montana Vandel 1973

Huntoniatonia replaced it in:

Jell, P.A., Adrain, J.M. 2003

Available Generic Names for Trilobites.

Queensland Museum Memoirs, 48(2):331-553  PDF LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Yikes.  The generic name was changed 16 years ago and every seller of Oklahoma trilobites still uses Huntonia.  Well, Huntoniatonia it is.

43 minutes ago, rew said:

Yikes.  The generic name was changed 16 years ago and every seller of Oklahoma trilobites still uses Huntonia.  Well, Huntoniatonia it is.

Not every seller.  There are a few high quality trilobite websites that have updated their listings.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I feel like you guys are trying to make me look bad :heartylaugh:. I'm pretty certain I didn't learn about it until after I made this account, but I will admit I do tend to use Huntonia. For the most part I feel like Huntoniatonia is a bit of a mouthful, just doesn't roll off the tongue very well. It does seem kind of odd that most retailers and even digsite owners (that I've talked to at least) tend to use the outdated name. Guess the change never really stuck that well.

"Huntonia" is easier to say but I'm trying to make sure my bugs are labeled accurately.  piranha knows his trilobites.

Fantastic specimen whichever name you decide to use...….  Thanks for sharing another wonderful trilobite.

On 1/20/2020 at 12:54 AM, rew said:

"Huntonia" is easier to say but I'm trying to make sure my bugs are labeled accurately.  piranha knows his trilobites.

That he does 

Trilobite of the week #96 is of Early Ordovician age from the Ktaoua Formation of Draa Valley, Morocco -- Actinopeltis globosus.  This is one of those bubble headed Cheirurids.

left-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Trilobite of the week #97 is another scutellid trilobite.  This is of Middle Devonian age from the Hamar Laghdad formation in the Tafilalt region of Morocco, Platyscutellum massai.  This species has short axial spines and short stubby spine over the eyes.  The right eye is well preserved. 

right-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

right-eye-cleaned-small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Trilobite of the week #98 is another member of the Dalmanitidae, Dalmanites limulurus.  This is a Middle Silurian trilobite from the Rochester Shale of Middleport, New York.

dorsal-c-cleaned-rotated-small.jpg

right-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

• I found this Informative 6