My trilobite of the week.

rew

I am trying to get my fossil collection photographed.  I have more trilobites than anything else, so to light a fire under this ever delayed project, I'm going to post a new bug in my collection each week.

To start off, here is a plate of Primaspis crosotus trilobites from the Kope Formation.  These are itty bitty bugs, but show all the typical Ondotopleurid features -- pleural and pygidal spines all around, and fringes of short spines on the free cheeks.

Primaspis-whole-plate-small-1300.jpg

Primaspis-closeup-1-small-1300.jpg

• I found this Informative 24
  • Enjoyed 15

Really nice trilobite! 

I look forward to seeing this thread develop. :)

• I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Great photography and bugs! :trilo:

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Very nice! I’m excited for next weeks addition.:dinothumb:

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Great fossils and great photos! Greetings from your fellow granite stater. I understand the struggle.

Nice one. Is that a crinoid stem at the top? Collapsed in on itself?

I hope you add each week's new bug to this topic so I won't miss any of them.

That is a bit of crinoid stem.  I don't think it's folded over, I believe that's just how that stem looks.  And there's a tiny brachiopod next to one of the bugs.

Trilobite #2.  Much of modern paleontology started in the United Kingdom, but I have only a few U.K. bugs.  Here's one.  Ogyginus cordensis, a Middle Ordovician asaphid from Wales:

Ogyginus_cordensis-rotated-cropped-small-1270.jpg

• I found this Informative 16
  • Enjoyed 3

On 1/20/2019 at 12:28 AM, rew said:

Trilobite #2.  Much of modern paleontology started in the United Kingdom, but I have only a few U.K. bugs.  Here's one.  Ogyginus cordensis, a Middle Ordovician asaphid from Wales:

That's a beauty, excellent specimen! :wub:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Trilobite #3:  Selenopletis gallica.  These Early Ordovician trilobites are from the Upper Fezouata Formation near Mecissi, Morocco.  As with many Moroccan trilobites these are given the same name as a European species, in this case, Selenopeltis gallica from Iberia, and will be called this unless and until a formal description is done, which might wind up assigning a different species and/or genus to these bugs.

Selenopeltis_gallica_cropped-small.jpg

• I found this Informative 6
  • Enjoyed 2

There are going to be two bugs this week, both humble Proetids.

Trilobite #4.  Gerastos granulosus.  This is a common Middle Devonian trilobite.  This specimen came from Foum Zguid, Morocco.

dorsal-cropped-rotated-small.jpg

left-cropped-small.jpg

• I found this Informative 8
  • Enjoyed 2

What the heck -- I'm doing three trilobites this week, all humble Proetids.  Trilobite #5 is a species of Pragoproetus from Tafroute, Morocco.  It is Early Devonian (Pragian stage) in age.  If someone here knows which species within the genus it is, I'd like to know.

dorsal-cropped-rotated-small.jpg

• I found this Informative 8
  • Enjoyed 2

:dinothumb:Very nice so far! Bonus trilobites in trilobites of the week are the bomb:drool:

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?