My trilobite of the week.

rew

Trilobite of the week #129 is Kingaspidoides sp., a Middle Cambrian member of the Ellipsocephalidae from the Jbel Wawrmast Formation of Jebel Ougnat, Morocco.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

left-cropped-small.jpg

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 1

I dont believe ive ever opened up this thread before?  Some super nice fossils you have!  I was expecting a bunch of moroccan trilo's prepped out with a railroad spike but I was very very very wrong!   Im gunna hafta check out this thread more often.

RB

10 hours ago, rew said:

Trilobite of the week #129 is Kingaspidoides amouslekensis, a Middle Cambrian member of the Ellipsocephalidae from the Jbel Wawrmast Formation of Jebel Ougnat, Morocco.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg  left-cropped-small.jpg

This is one is notoriously mislabeled across the internet.  The correct name combination is: Kingaspis amouslekensis Geyer 1990

Kingaspis amouslekensis has a much smaller glabella.  This species is still undescribed and should be labeled: Kingaspidoides sp.

image.thumb.png.930edbbc14342f1ffdfbe5ddfe363108.png

Geyer, G. 1990

Die Marokkanischen Ellipsocephalidae (Trilobita: Redlichiida).

[The Moroccan Ellipsocephalidae (Trilobita: Redlichiida).] 

Institut für Paläontologie der Universität Würzburg, Beringeria, 3:1-363  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 6

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

14 hours ago, piranha said:

This is one is notoriously mislabeled across the internet.

Well, now there is one less place on the internet where this trilobite is mislabeled. 

As a trilobite lover this thread and your collection is AWESOME! I can only dream about owning .001% of what you've shown us so far. Thank you (I think ;) )

Trilobite of the week #130 is Conocoryphe sulzeri, a Middle Cambrian Ptychoparid trilobite from the Jince Formation of Jince, Czechoslovakia.  This trilobite was blind.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

• 2 weeks later...

Trilobite of the week #131 is aff. Bojoscutellum of Early Devonian age from the Timrhanrhart Formation of Jebel Ziguilma, Foum Zguid, Morocco.  This is an undescribed scutellid that is provisionally named after a similar genus.  I won't be surprised to see it put in a different genus when it gets a formal description.  It has a robust occipital spine and large spines over the eyes, as well as some axial spines whose number and position varies with the specimen.  The specimen is in retroflexed position (bent backwards). 

dorsal-cropped-rotated-small.jpg

right-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

back-cropped-small.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

This trilobite was obviously a direct ancestor of Triceratops.  The lenses of the right eye are well preserved.  There is some preservation of the lenses of the left eye, but that is much patchier.

front-cropped-small.jpg

right-eye-cleaned-small.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Trilobite of the week #132 is Chancie ebdome of Middle Cambrian age from the Spence Shale in Box Elder County, Utah.  This is in the Alokistocaridae, along with the similar Amecephalus genus.  It is uncommon but is also found in the Burgess Shale.

On 7/5/2020 at 1:09 AM, rew said:

Trilobite of the week #131 is aff. Bojoscutellum of Early Devonian age from the Timrhanrhart Formation of Jebel Ziguilma, Foum Zguid, Morocco.  This is an undescribed scutellid that is provisionally named after a similar genus.  I won't be surprised to see it put in a different genus when it gets a formal description.  It has a robust occipital spine and large spines over the eyes, as well as some axial spines whose number and position varies with the specimen.  The specimen is in retroflexed position (bent backwards). 

right-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

back-cropped-small.jpg

You have an incredible variety of unique scuttelum! I agree with @Ludwigia, love to see your display.

I'm curious if you have a system for display and if so do you prefer to organize the trilobites by location, related species, or something else? (Trying to come up with a system to organize my own trilos). Thanks

On 6/24/2020 at 11:03 PM, Sjfriend said:

As a trilobite lover this thread and your collection is AWESOME! I can only dream about owning .001% of what you've shown us so far. Thank you (I think ;) )

.001% of 130 trilobites is 0.0013 of a trilobite. I can send you that if you need:thumbsu:

On 7/13/2020 at 2:34 AM, Huntonia said:

You have an incredible variety of unique scuttelum! I agree with @Ludwigia, love to see your display.

I'm curious if you have a system for display and if so do you prefer to organize the trilobites by location, related species, or something else? (Trying to come up with a system to organize my own trilos). Thanks

Right now most of my trilobites are stored in tubs in my basement.  I do plan to build some display cases but it's a long term project.

• I found this Informative 1

On 7/15/2020 at 12:12 PM, Scylla said:

.001% of 130 trilobites is 0.0013 of a trilobite. I can send you that if you need:thumbsu:

That would be great! Wouldn't even take up too much space :) Though the label might be a little hard to see ;) And, a good chance it would be a new species for me too lol

• I found this Informative 1

Trilobite of the week #133 is another "no prep" bug found in a concretion.  It is Pennaia verneuili of Early Devonian age from the Belen Formation of Calamarca (La Paz) Bolivian Altiplano.  As with all of my current Bolivian bugs, it is in the family Calmoniidae.

dorsal-cleaned-rotated-small.jpg

right-cropped-small.jpg

Trilobite of the week #134 is a double of Parahomalonotus calvus, an Early Devonian Homalonotid from the Timrhanrhart Formation of Foum Zguid, Morocco.  Like most members of its family this is a large trilobite (the larger specimen is 18 cm long) and has lost most of its trilobation to streamline the body for a burrowing lifestyle.  Both specimens are complete, although the head of the larger specimen is slightly disarticulated, bent to the right and tilted with the left side high and the right side low.  The second photo here is angled to show the head of the larger trilobite a little better.  The third phone is a close up of the smaller trilobite.

dorsal-cpyrt-small.jpg

dorsal-angled-cpyrt-small.jpg

dorsal-a-rotated-small.jpg

On 7/13/2020 at 2:22 AM, rew said:

Trilobite of the week #132 is Chancie ebdome of Middle Cambrian age from the Spence Shale in Box Elder County, Utah.  This is in the Alokistocaridae, along with the similar Amecephalus genus.  It is uncommon but is also found in the Burgess Shale.

Oops - a typo.  That's supposed to be " Chancia ebdome", not " Chancie ebdome".  I'm shocked that Piranha didn't catch that.

• I found this Informative 2

56 minutes ago, rew said:

Trilobite of the week #134 is a double of Parahomalonotus calvus, an Early Devonian Homalonotid from the Timrhanrhart Formation of Foum Zguid, Morocco.  Like most members of its family this is a large trilobite (the larger specimen is 18 cm long) and has lost most of its trilobation to streamline the body for a burrowing lifestyle.  Both specimens are complete, although the head of the larger specimen is slightly disarticulated, bent to the right and tilted with the left side high and the right side low.

dorsal-angled-cpyrt-small.jpg

These are now reclassified: Wenndorfia calvus.  Sandford 2005 assigned the Moroccan species Parahomalonotus planus planus to the new genus Wenndorfia

Because of a publishing overlap/oversight Chatterton et al. 2006 did not recognize Wenndorfia when they described the new species: Parahomalonotus calvus 

Sandford, A.C. 2005
Homalonotid Trilobites from the Silurian and Lower Devonian of South-Eastern Australia and New Zealand (Arthropoda: Trilobita: Homalonotidae).

Memoirs of the National Museum Victoria, 62(1):1-66  PDF LINK

Chatterton, B.D.E., Fortey, R.A., Brett, K.D., Gibb, S.L. McKellar, R.C. 2006
Trilobites from the Upper Lower to Middle Devonian Timrhanrhart Formation, Jbel Gara et Zguilma, Southern Morocco.
Palaeontographica Canadiana, 25:1-177  PDF LINK

Here's a side view of the larger trilobite.  You can see how far tilted up the left side of the head is, but mainly this is to show how domed the carapace is.  Trimerus had a similar domed carapace but in most specimens, including my own, it is highly flattened as the carapace got crushed under the mud.

left-cleaned-cropped-small.jpg

Edited by Kane
Typo

Trilobite of the week #135 is Gondwanaspis mrirtensis of Late Devonian (Frasnian) age, from Mount Issoumour, Alnif, Morocco.

This was one of the very last Odontopleurids, when this species went extinct at the end of the Frasnian they were all extinct.  Tetrapods were crawling on land when this trilobite crawled in the ocean, and there were early forests of tree ferns in the swampy land areas.  The world was beginning to get too modern for trilobites.

right-cropped-small.jpg

Trilobite of the week #136 is Olenoides vali, a member of the Dorypygidae within the order Corynexochida.  This is of Middle Cambrian age and is from the Wheeler Formation of Millard County, Utah.  Unlike that lonely Gondwanaspis, this trilobite lived during the heyday of trilobites, when they ruled the seas, with no jawed fish that could eat them.  This has its occipital spine and axial spines preserved, but crushed flat on the back as is typical for these bugs.  There is one pathologically short spine on the left side of the pygidium.  There is no sign of a break, so it probably broke while the trilobite was alive and healed over, a common cause of short spines in trilobites.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

48 minutes ago, rew said:

Trilobite of the week #136 is Olenoides valie, a member of the Dorypygidae within the order Corynexochida.  This is of Middle Cambrian age and is from the Wheeler Formation of Millard County, Utah.  Unlike that lonely Gondwanaspis, this trilobite lived during the heyday of trilobites, when they ruled the seas, with no jawed fish that could eat them.  This has its occipital spine and axial spines preserved, but crushed flat on the back as is typical for these bugs.  There is one pathologically short spine on the left side of the pygidium.  There is no sign of a break, so it probably broke while the trilobite was alive and healed over, a common cause of short spines in trilobites.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

Very nice! Posted ImagePosted Image

Here is the publication that first described: Olenoides vali

Robison, R.A., Babcock, L.E. 2011

Systematics, Paleobiology, and Taphonomy of some Exceptionally Preserved Trilobites from Cambrian Lagerstätten of Utah.

The University of Kansas, Paleontological Contributions, 5:1-47  PDF LINK

Another super page of trilobites.:)

Some of these Moroccan bugs I've not even seen here in Morocco! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Trilobite of the week #137 is Pseudosaukianda lata, of Early Cambrian age from the Issafen Formation from Issafen, Morocco.

dorsal-cleaned-rotated-small.jpg

right-cropped-small.jpg

• I found this Informative 2