My trilobite of the week.

rew

On 7/15/2020 at 11:12 AM, Scylla said:

.001% of 130 trilobites is 0.0013 of a trilobite. I can send you that if you need:thumbsu:

I'll NEVER turn down a trilobite :yay-smiley-1: Even if only a piece lol

• I found this Informative 1

On 8/23/2020 at 3:47 PM, rew said:

The classification of Calymenid trilobites is certainly confusing.  Another relabel to do.

I keep wondering if @piranha has stock in the printer / label companies lol

Trilobite of the week #151 is Huntoniatonia lingulifer of Early Devonian age from the Haragan Formation of Black Cat Mountain at Clarita, Oklahoma.  This differs from Huntoniatonia huntonensis by having a longer caudal spine.

There are many interesting trilobites that don't come from Black Cat Mountain.  But Black Cat Mountain has the prettiest trilobites.

dorsal-cropped-rotated-small.jpg

right-cropped-small.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

Trilobite of the week #152 is Ogygopsis typicalis, a Middle Cambrian trilobite from the Spence Shale in Utah.  This ordinary looking bug is in a family, Dorypygidae, that includes spiny genera like Kootenia and Olenoides.  There is some missing shell in the upper right of the head.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

14 hours ago, rew said:

Trilobite of the week #152

When will you run out? You just keep coming back with amazing trilos

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a ways to go before I run out.

Trilobite of the week #153 is Cyphaspis ceratophthalma, from the Ahrdorf Formation, Flesten Member, located at Gees in the Eifel Region of Germany.  If you guessed that this is of Eifelian age, you are right.  The axial spine and genal spines are long and curved in this species, in contrast to the long and straight spines of C. eberhardiei.

I guess I like Cyphaspis trilobites.

right-front-cropped-small.jpg

front-cropped-small.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Trilobite of the week #154 is Kaskia chesterensis, of Mississippian age from the Big Clifty Formation at Crawford County, Indiana.  So far as I know this is still placed within the Proetidae, it doesn't seem to have been moved into the Phillipsiidae like so many other post Devonian trilobites.

The trilobite is complete but the free cheeks are somewhat dis-articulated, particularly on the right side.  This bug is rare enough that it was a matter of putting up with this minor defect or most likely never having one at all.  The preparation is top notch.  Note that some of the optical surface of the eye on the right free cheek is preserved, and you can see some of the lenses on it.  It is very unusual to see the lenses of the holochroal eyes in any Proetid.

dorsal-cleaned-rotated-small.jpg

left-cropped-small.jpg

right-eye-cropped-small.jpg

1 hour ago, rew said:

Trilobite of the week #154 is Kaskia chesterensis, of Mississippian age from the Big Clifty Formation at Crawford County, Indiana.  So far as I know this is still placed within the Proetidae, it doesn't seem to have been moved into the Phillipsiidae like so many other post Devonian trilobites.

The 1959 Treatise classification of Kaskia in the Phillipsiidae is still maintained by the workers specializing in this group.

Brezinski, D.K. 2017. Some New Late Mississippian Trilobites from Oklahoma and Arkansas. Annals of Carnegie Museum, 84(2):173-178  PDF LINK

Mychko, E.V., Alekseev, A.S. 2018. Trilobites from the Gzhelian (Pennsylvanian) of the Moscow Region. Paleontological Journal, 52(5):506-519  PDF LINK

image.thumb.png.d0cf932c3775bbef99312abe109afb61.png

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

17 minutes ago, rew said:

Thanks.  So Kaskia is in the Phillipsiidae now.

Still affirmed now ... as it was classified in the Phillipsiidae in the 1959 Treatise (O) on Invertebrate Paleontology.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Trilobite of the week #155 is what I believe is still an undescribed species,  This is Amecephalus sp., of Middle Cambrian age and from the 150' layer of the Spence Shale, in Miner's Hollow, Box Elder County, Utah.

This has long genal spines but they are not quite as broad is in A. laticaudum.

Trilobite of the week #156 is Oryctocephalus walcotti, a member of the Corynexochida of Middle Cambrian age from the Spence Shale of Box Elder County, Utah.  This is a small bug that's easier to see in a photograph than in real life.

Happy New Year, folks.  The first trilobite of 2021, #157, is Encrinurus deomenos, of Early Silurian age, from the Jupiter Formation at Anticosti Island, Eastern Quebec, Canada.  This species of Encrinurus has two axial spines.  In this specimen both axial spines are bent over to the left, and the one in front is actually a bit broken away from the thorax.  The preparator took the side of caution and left some rock to support the axial spines.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

right-cropped-cleaned-small.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Trilobite of the week #158 is Kendalllina crassitesta, of Late Cambrian age and from the McKay Group in Cranbrook, British Columbia, Canada.  This bug is missing the tip of the right genal spine.  It is the only trilobite I have in the family Parabolinoididae.

• I found this Informative 2

On 2021-01-09 at 1:05 AM, rew said:

Trilobite of the week #158 is Kendalllina crassitesta, of Late Cambrian age and from the McKay Group in Cranbrook, British Columbia, Canada.  This bug is missing the tip of the right genal spine.  It is the only trilobite I have in the family Parabolinoididae.

Very nice trilobite. I should learn more from the different families of trilobites. Any recommendations to a newbie for reading about trilobites?

6 minutes ago, Pavlosmelas said:

Very nice trilobite. I should learn more from the different families of trilobites. Any recommendations to a newbie for reading about trilobites?

This is an excellent online resource: http://trilobites.info

We can definitely recommend some print sources as well. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

11 hours ago, Kane said:

This is an excellent online resource: http://trilobites.info

We can definitely recommend some print sources as well. :) 

Thank you Kane! That website is great. I finally understand the purpose of the different shaped trilobites and I now know the chronological order of the famillies.

This trilobite is a mid-week bonus trilobite, and has to be because I am merely correcting an embarrassing misidentification made some time back.  This is the new trilobite #110, Brachyaspidion sulcatum, of Middle Cambrian age, from the Wheeler Formation in the House Range, Millard County, Utah.

It has free cheeks but no genal spines.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

Trilobite of the week #159 is Menomonia sahratiani, of Late Middle Cambrian age from the Weeks Formation, in the House Range of Millard County, Utah.  This is under an inch long but still twice the length of the earlier posted Menomonia semele.  Bugs in this genus are long and skinny, with lots of thoracic segments.

dorsal-rotated-small.jpg

Trilobite #160 is Crotalocephalus maurus of Middle Devonian age from Hamar Laghdad, Jbel Issoumour, Alnif, Morocco.  It similar to the previously shown Crotalocephaus africanus but has two stubby spines projecting from the lower front part of the head, giving it something of the appearance of having a mustache. 

front-cropped-rotated-small.jpg

back-cropped-small.jpg