Fossilized egg?

mtbjosh

I found these last week in Texas about 60 miles south east of Amarillo. 2 are nearly identical in size. Do you all think these are fossilized eggs? Appreciate the help! 

IMG_0678.JPG

To me, they look geologic rather than biologic.

• I found this Informative 1

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

32 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Can't see any eggshell texture.

Interesting concretions, I think. :)

Little better closeup. If not eggs, any thought as to what they would be? It's just odd they were both in the same spot and almost identical in size! 

IMG_0679.JPG

20 minutes ago, mtbjosh said:

Little better closeup. If not eggs, any thought as to what they would be? It's just odd they were both in the same spot and almost identical in size! 

Concretions. 

They often occur this shape and in numbers.

See : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concretion

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Yep, some kind of concretions.   There could be a fossil of some kind inside, but not usually.  Good luck.

RB

If they have an egg shape, doesn't mean they are eggs. Fossil eggs may have multiple layers, but not too many. One would say that the outer shells are gone, but in this case you may find them scattered on the ground or in an adjacent area of the find, or lost somewhere along the way.
To shorten the discussion, I think, the best way to see what it may be is to make a cross section to one of them.
At the moment, they look like concretions, maybe sandstone concretions, to me. :)

• I found this Informative 4

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2019 at 2:05 PM, mtbjosh said:

I found these last week in Texas about 60 miles south east of Amarillo. 2 are nearly identical in size. Do you all think these are fossilized eggs? Appreciate the help! 

I have to agree with the others, these are most likely concretions. There is a small possibility they might be pupa cases but that is unlikely.  @abyssunder is spot on when it comes to eggs, and indeed a cross section would allow for a clear view of any eggshell, though I suspect none is present.

For reference, here are a few fossilized pupa cases and cocoons:

Fossil-Cocoons-Montana1.jpg

Edited by CBchiefski
Typo