Adcrocuta skull

Kittenmittens

Hello this is being listed as a Adcrocuta Canine Hyaenidae  skull real fossil from HeilongjiangProvince China in Glacial period. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance. 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1601.jpg

s-l1602.jpg

In my opinion it is not real! :(

I find it rather bizarre that the exact same seller is selling this hyaenidae skull that I believe is real:

image.thumb.png.0436ac0960ffb902da69138116b6e201.png

For an infinitely more expensive price than this "fossil skull" that are so well preserved  and completely clean from the matrix: 

image.png.ee48501c275d4ee7c71e324b7b487e72.png

So why that the skull that is poorly preserved, that is, in such a poor state, costing more expansive than the museum quality skull? :wacko:

I do not rule out the possibility of being a modern hyena skull prepared with tannin to give the impression of colors with aging. Nor would it be the first time I've seen a supposed fossil skull, but it's actually a modern skull with tannin for sale.

On the other hand, I know that the level of preservation of the fossils of Heilongjiang Province is not the same as that of Hezheng. But it's still too good to be true. My advice is to get away from this.

Our dear friend @Crazyhen, who lives in China, can also try to help here.

:dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 5

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

I agree with my good friend @Seguidora-de-Isis that this is a rather modern hyena skull.  And there are fossils of hyena from Hezheng, but I am not aware of the presence of hyena fossil from Heilongjiang.

• I found this Informative 4

Thank you both. I have bought other stuff from this seller with no problem but thought this looked to good to be true.

I don’t think this skull is related to a hyena at all. It appears to be either a wolf or dog skull. Hard to tell if it is actually at least Pleistocene or if it is a dyed or stained Holocene skull. 

1 hour ago, Kittenmittens said:

Thank you both. I have bought other stuff from this seller with no problem but thought this looked to good to be true.

You are welcome!

I bought from this seller some specimens of keichousaurus, fragment of hipparion skull and 1 tooth of Woolly Rhino. So often we can not blame the seller because I believe that in this case, not even the seller knows what he is reselling. That is, he buys from all parts of his country, and simply resells the same way he bought already labeled.

So here is the same case as always, it is up to us collectors to educate us and study the specimens we wanted before the purchase, and if in doubt, to post here that there are always many people willing to help. :dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 2

03.PNG

5 hours ago, steelhead9 said:

I don’t think this skull is related to a hyena at all. It appears to be either a wolf or dog skull. Hard to tell if it is actually at least Pleistocene or if it is a dyed or stained Holocene skull. 

It's true, my good friend steelhead9! It may be a skull of a dog, wolf and even modern hyena, it may be anything but definitely not what is being labeled. But unfortunately someone will end up buying it thinking it's a legitimate prehistoric museum-quality skull for a bargain! :(

• I found this Informative 1

03.PNG

I agree that the skull isn't a hyena. Hyenas have fewer teeth ( I 3/3, C 1/1, PM 4/3 M 1/1 = 34 vs. wolf's I 3/3, C 1/1, PM 4/4, M 3/2 = 42), bigger zygomatic arch, much more pronounced sagittal crest, and a shorter, broader snout. The skull is a dog or wolf

Hyena w Wolf and Cougar - labeled.png

8 hours ago, Wightlight said:

I agree that the skull isn't a hyena. Hyenas have fewer teeth ( I 3/3, C 1/1, PM 4/3 M 1/1 = 34 vs. wolf's I 3/3, C 1/1, PM 4/4, M 3/2 = 42), bigger zygomatic arch, much more pronounced sagittal crest, and a shorter, broader snout. The skull is a dog or wolf

Hyena w Wolf and Cougar - labeled.png

I agree, IMO no hyena.

Position of breaking scissors does not fit IMO (special for hyena: Hyaenodontidae: between the second molars in the upper and the third molar in the lower jaw; Oxyaenidae: between the first molar in the upper and the second Molar in the lower jaw). Todays "furry predator friends": fourth premolar in the upper jaw; first molar in the lower jaw...

I e-mailed the seller and he agreed.  He said he would change the listing description tomorrow.  Hopefully that will be the case.

• I found this Informative 1