Portland Fossils ID

Dan 1000

G'day everyone!

I have going through some of my Portland finds and had a few pieces I needed some help with. The first piece is what I suspect is a drumfish tooth, which I am fairly confident with but wanted a second opinion and the second piece is what I believe to be some sort of fish or shark dermal plate? I am not quite sure and this is the piece I need the most help with. The site is aged late Miocene? to early Pliocene and is a marine environment where many shark, cetacean, fish and invertebrate fossils can be found. 

Thanks,

Dan

1. Drumfish tooth?

5c3c478078d07_FishTooth1.thumb.jpg.0001c7259f0e67edd28f5d06f79a88e7.jpg

2. Unknown (Possible dermal plate?)

Unknown.thumb.jpg.9a338821a1897308f5e85451d48d17b5.jpg

I agree with drum tooth for the first one, I have many. The best way to tell is the divot on the back. For number 2, I would have to go with your idea of dermal scute since that is a new find for me. It could very well be another, broken Drum tooth, but that is a wild guess.

Lets let the true experts chime in.;)

• I found this Informative 1

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

If we compare the second specimen in question with some of the ones from this older topic, I think we can find good similarities.

I'm in the dermal denticle camp.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library