2018 Vertebrate Find Of The Year Poll!

digit

2018 Vertebrate Find Of The Year Poll!  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Cast Your Vote!

• 1. Shrew (Soricidae) left mandible - Melbourne Bone Bed, Late Pleistocene - Indian River spoil pile Merritt Island, Florida, USA
    • 2. Saurodon fish jaw - Cretaceous Atco Formation of Austin Group, Cretaceous - Dallas, Texas, USA
    • 3. Mammuthus columbi mammoth tusk - Pleistocene - North Sulphur River, North Texas, USA
    • 4. Thylacoleo carnifex marsupial lion skull - Pleistocene - Queensland, Australia
    • 5. Palaeotherium magnum skull and mandible - Upper Eocene - Southwestern France
    • 6. Elonichthys peligerus fish - Middle Pennsylvanian - Wilmington, Illinois, USA
    • 7. Cowralepis mclachlani placoderm - Middle Devonian - West of Cowra, NSW, Australia
    • 8. Orthacanthus compressus (Shark) - Upper Pennsylvanian, Upper Freeport #7 Coal - Linton Mine, SE Ohio, USA
    • 9. Ichthyosaur remains - Whitby Mudstone Formation (Toarcian, Lower Jurassic) - Yorkshire Coast, Whitby, England
    • 10. Tylosaurus proriger mosasaur tooth - Ozan Member of the Taylor Formation, Upper Cretaceous - North Sulphur River, Texas, USA
    • 11. Undetermined (Tyrannosaurus rex orTriceratops horridus) dinosaur rib - Upper Cretaceous (Hell Creek Formation) - Montana, USA
    • 12. Canis dirus (Dire Woff) tooth - Pleistocene (unidentified offshore unit) - Beach find near Charleston, South Carolina, USA

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/26/2019 at 04:59 AM

Here we are with our 2018 VFOTY contest entries. These are all 12 of our VFOTM winners from 2018, listed in the order of the month they won. Carefully review these entries and vote for the one you think deserves the title of 2018 Vertebrate Fossil Of The Year!

Poll closes on the 25th of January just before midnight. You can also vote for the 2018 Invertebrate / Plant Fossil Of The Year contest HERE.

1. Shrew (Soricidae) left mandible - Melbourne Bone Bed, Late Pleistocene - Indian River spoil pile Merritt Island, Florida, USA

5a6d0d4598ff1_MI2shrewmandible.thumb.jpg.1831bc4ca7df5a52f423ee88606e4606.jpg

2. Saurodon fish jaw - Cretaceous Atco Formation of Austin Group, Cretaceous - Dallas, Texas, USA

9047D6E1-3E2F-40B1-96B7-4541FB44697B.jpeg

F2E8A177-3388-4558-B7D8-C464E3AC0477.jpeg

3. Mammuthus columbi mammoth tusk - Pleistocene - North Sulphur River, North Texas, USA

Qsr Mammuthus columbi Tusk 1d 030218.jpg

Qsr Mammuthus columbi Tusk 1z2 030218.jpg

Qsr Mammuthus columbi Tusk 1z8 030218.jpg

4. Thylacoleo carnifex marsupial lion skull - Pleistocene - Queensland, Australia

IMG_3821.JPG

IMG_3807.JPG

IMG_3810.JPG

5. Palaeotherium magnum skull and mandible - Upper Eocene - Southwestern France

05-10-15......JPG

06-03-16..JPG

IMGP6054.JPG

6. Elonichthys peligerus fish - Middle Pennsylvanian Wilmington, Illinois, USA

IMG_5577.jpg

IMG_5580.jpg

IMG_5582.jpg

7. Cowralepis mclachlani placoderm - Middle Devonian - West of Cowra, NSW, Australia

IMG_1822.JPG

IMG_1823.JPG

IMG_1825.JPG

8. Orthacanthus compressus (Shark) - Upper Pennsylvanian, Upper Freeport #7 Coal  - Linton Mine, SE Ohio, USA

P1010030R.JPG

P1010030R.JPG

P1010030R.JPG

5b73b3ad65663_XenaBonesGrey.JPG

9. Ichthyosaur remains - Whitby Mudstone Formation (Toarcian, Lower Jurassic) - Yorkshire Coast, Whitby, England

8AE0AA1C-12D4-4FE7-AF2E-2925B4160643.jpeg

197F26CC-FC0A-4D55-B121-35DA318B965E.jpeg

AB556043-379D-4DA6-874F-6E7CC87ED398.jpeg

10. Tylosaurus proriger mosasaur tooth - Ozan Member of the Taylor Formation, Upper Cretaceous - North Sulphur River,  Texas, USA

20181018_113620-1470x3024.jpg

20181024_080356-1470x3024.jpg

11. Undetermined (Tyrannosaurus rex orTriceratops horridus) dinosaur rib - Upper Cretaceous (Hell Creek Formation) - Montana, USA

prepwork.jpg

rib4.jpg

rib5.jpg

12. Canis dirus (Dire Woff) tooth - Pleistocene (unidentified offshore unit) - Beach find near Charleston, South Carolina, USA

number1.jpg

number2.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

1 hour ago, Macrophyseter said:

@UtahFossilHunter It's here!!

Finally, I’ve been waiting a whole year for it.:ighappy:

• I found this Informative 1

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Tough choices, some incredible pieces you folks found :yay-smiley-1:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

All such incredible finds, they make me so jealous! :envy:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

.......can I vote for all? ....they are all amazing and all the fossils deserve to be chosen.....that's a really hard decision ...

What a great year 2018 was. My first 6 months properly collecting, i cant wait until March and i'll be back out collecting daily.

Hopefully you all are taking advantage of the cold winter months unlike me :)

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

On 1/18/2019 at 7:50 PM, LiamL said:

What a great year 2018 was. My first 6 months properly collecting, i cant wait until March and i'll be back out collecting daily.

Hopefully you all are taking advantage of the cold winter months unlike me :)

I'm mostly stuck inside too this time a year. I went to the Zandmotor a year ago now, and let me tell you I am NOT doing that again... My fingers ached for a full day after the hunt, that's how badly they were frozen! :wacko: 

March is also when I plan to start going back out. I can't wait!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

On 18/01/2019 at 7:50 PM, LiamL said:

i'll be back out collecting daily.

Lucky you! Is it because you'll be on holiday?;)

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

8 minutes ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Lucky you! Is it because you'll be on holiday?;)

-Christian

I have a holiday home above the location i collect at, and it reopens on March 1st! I'm itching to collect :drool:

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

9 minutes ago, LiamL said:

I have a holiday home above the location i collect at, and it reopens on March 1st! I'm itching to collect :drool:

:envy:

Cheers.

-Ken

• Fossildude19 unfeatured this topic