Hungry Hollow: New coral for me (I think!)

Monica

Hi all!

While I was looking through some of my fossils, I came across the specimen below, and I think it's a new little coral for me!  Does anyone have an idea as to its identity?  It appears to be a tabulate coral, but if anyone could let me know its genus and species then I'd be much obliged!  It's from Hungry Hollow near Arkona, Ontario, Canada (mid-Devonian in age).  Thanks in advance for your help!

Monica

DSCN4495.thumb.JPG.768da708370323004171d7bbc1df3125.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Nice specimens! :dinothumb:

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

It looks like a coral from the genus Pleurodictyum IMO

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Hi Monica, sorry I can't help with ID but it is a nice specimen 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

@Kane will know for certain but it’s probably as stated above...Pleurodictyum....but it does look kinda different. I’ll sit and wait :popcorn:

Yes, Plaurodictyum, I think.

Pleaurodictyum americanum? 

Very nice! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thanks for responding, everyone!

Because the specimen in question appears not to be exactly spherical (you can see a little bit branching off of the spherical part near the bottom of the picture), I'm leaning towards what Roger has stated - perhaps it's a new Favosites for me - perhaps F. nitella (although it would be great if it were a Pleurodictyum since I don't have that genus yet! :P).  I'll take a few more pictures tonight from different angles to see if a more certain ID can be nailed down.  I'll also take a picture of the other item located above the coral in question - perhaps you can help me identify that one, too! :)

I like the sound of Favosites (possibly a small bit of F. alpenensis? -- but more likely closer to Ludwigia's guess of F. nitella). @middevonian has put in a lot more time than most with the corals at that site, so hopefully he can weigh in as well. I can also see if I have any similar ones left on hand to compare, as I've been downsizing the Arkona stuff and getting rid of a lot of the coral that I collected some years ago. 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I'm not sure of the correct ID, but I can say that, of all the corals at HH (and there are plenty of them), Pleurodictyum is one of, if not THE rarest.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I am also going to chime in with my two cents. Coralites seem small for Pleurodictyum and as stated above the overall shape is not as hemispherical as one would expect for Pleurodictyum. I am not familiar with the Hungry Hollow fauna, but I know that in the New York Middle Devonian there are numerous species of Favosites.

My money is on that genus.

Oh yes, nice specimen, too.

I have never found a Pleurodictyum at Arkona but it could be, looks similar and they have been found there in the past. This could be a broken fragment that has been flattend

• I found this Informative 3

Here are more pictures of the coral from different angles:

DSCN4502.thumb.JPG.bdfaccc260a265578c9ff3a00e6d2a85.JPGDSCN4504.thumb.JPG.caea4c71db9128de2f9b8bd3ef9552a6.JPGDSCN4505.thumb.JPG.1771f20638a7974c054f7b8c0d26fdac.JPGDSCN4506.thumb.JPG.3d5bbe9b0a0d807c117610c03c374a89.JPGDSCN4507.thumb.JPG.6970a586d541d287027054c14ceae7f2.JPG

And here is a picture of the other specimen on the same rock:

DSCN4508.thumb.JPG.e22e6ccdcb9285529405a4aae48586b5.JPG

Hi Monica,

I believe the first coral is a piece of Favosites arbuscula. The second appears to be Cladopora.

Best,

Darrell

2 hours ago, middevonian said:

Hi Monica,

I believe the first coral is a piece of Favosites arbuscula. The second appears to be Cladopora.

Best,

Darrell

Thanks, Darrell!  That's a new Favosites species for me, and a new genus in Cladopora - yay!

I hope that all is well with you!

Monica

In the first picture of the other angle pictures I see what seems to be a Cephalopod fossil , around 5 o clock , it looks like chambers and waves like a Goniatite?

21 hours ago, PyritizeMe said:

In the first picture of the other angle pictures I see what seems to be a Cephalopod fossil , around 5 o clock , it looks like chambers and waves like a Goniatite?

Good eye!  I didn't even notice that!!!  I'll have a closer look and perhaps try to get some of the matrix off and let you know what I find...

Thanks so much for the input!

Monica

3 hours ago, Monica said:

Good eye!  I didn't even notice that!!!  I'll have a closer look and perhaps try to get some of the matrix off and let you know what I find...

Thanks so much for the input!

Monica

I can see it too.

1.jpg.a291a59c88d8beb8379612ec2dd7a6fb.jpg

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again!

After examining this piece a little more closely, I found another interesting tidbit on the rock that I think is likely part of a coral, but it kind of looks like a small crinoid calyx (it's about 5mm in diameter) - please see pictures below:

DSCN4532.thumb.JPG.b36a0777a792ca03adcb996849903a13.JPGDSCN4534.thumb.JPG.ecb36af2c18775c136f64493e42f3dda.JPG

What do you think?

Thanks once again!

Monica