KimTexan

My Texas Bison Bonanza

RJB

Great report Kim.   The way you explained this I was getting excited too.   Are there any more of the leg bones?

RB

facehugger

Great find! We'll be interested to see the next update!

Peat Burns

:popcorn:

Tidgy's Dad

:popcorn::popcorn:

Xiphactinus

Aw come on....."I'll post more tomorrow."  That is just downright mean!

KimTexan
On 1/15/2019 at 6:34 AM, RJB said:

Great report Kim.   The way you explained this I was getting excited too.   Are there any more of the leg bones?

RB

Oh I know you’re supposed to let bones dry slowly. Is there a procedure for that? How slowly?

gwestbrook

That is so cool! That would be considered the find of a lifetime for most people! Awesome find! :)

Max-fossils

Woohoo! Let's hope you find more (and are allowed to do so)!

I'd love to see the photos of the cleaned bones :) 

KimTexan

I need to order more supplies. I ran out of glue/stabilizer during extraction. I want to start cleaning the skull, but won’t start until I’m able to stabilize it. I’m trying to keep it moist unti then so it doesn’t get brittle. 

henpecked

That's not right leaving us all hanging....

Great find by the way' looking forward to the rest of the story with lots more pictures.

FossilsAnonymous

This is going to be good.... :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Nimravis

Kim as always, you are a great storyteller and I love to read your posts. It would’ve just been a lot better if you did get sprayed by the skunk, I think that would’ve been a great way to end the night LOL.

caldigger
1 hour ago, KimTexan said:

Leave it to my daughter to put an empty container back in the glovebox.

"Thats OK, mom will just replace it!" ;)

caldigger
22 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Kim as always, you are a great storyteller and I love to read your posts. It would’ve just been a lot better if you did get sprayed by the skunk, I think that would’ve been a great way to end the night LOL.

Can you imagine having to get in your car with skunk musk all over you and drive 40 minutes back home with that reek?!

You'd have to burn the car!

I ran over a dead skunk on the highway a month ago and must have squished the wrong part and squirted the undercarriage because it still has stink attached! :(

KimTexan
5 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Thank you Ralph. My kids use to love for me to tell them stories. At bedtime they’d beg me to tell them stories of when I was a little girl living in the remote Boston Mountains of Arkansas. They loved those stories.

Haha, yes that would have made for a great story, but I probably would have dropped that skull right there and destroyed it.

Not that it would have helped too much, but I am sure I would have had to go back to the creek and take a bath to get some of it off even if it was 40 degrees. I hear it burns like tear gas or something.

Nimravis

I absolutely love the smell of skunk. My wife thinks I’m crazy, but it’s a great smell to me. I don’t know why that is and I know there’s a few other people that I know that also like that smell.

henpecked

Thanks for updating.........congratulations

Al Tahan

:popcorn::envy:wow wow wow!!! 

KimTexan

I’m still excited about it. I hope to post the 2nd day of excavation/extraction this evening or tomorrow.

ClearLake
12 hours ago, KimTexan said:

There is a piece of rib and another fragment of something I haven’t figured out what it is yet. The L shaped bone is what was stuck in the atlas.

The L shaped bone of course is the head of a broken rib, the straight-ish piece is probably the end of a rib from near the back (but I can't really tell how curved it is or isn't from that picture), and the third piece looks perhaps like a piece of a broken scapula but its a bit hard to tell without seeing it better.

Great find!!

On 1/14/2019 at 11:40 PM, KimTexan said:

To the left were thoracic vertebra and to the right were cervical vertebrae. Go figure that one out.

Could be the result of the classic "death pose" where the neck bends back on itself due to the tightening of the muscles and tendons as the deceased animal dries.  Also could be all the bones are jumbled post-mortem either by a hunter or Mother Nature.

Kato
On 1/15/2019 at 11:26 PM, KimTexan said:

Here is another pic of the bones in the bank from another angle. The bone on the far right is a femur I think.

Many kudos to you for your enthusiasm and dedication. I know what it's like to be out in the remote areas and can remember coming around corners and having face downs with the skunk. I always let them win because I am a fast runner. Keep on collecting but make sure to let someone know where you are and when you will be getting back. Nowadays with cell phones things are easier in that regard.

In my case, if I am more than 4 hours past my curfew, I've left a detailed map for search and rescue to facilitate finding my carcass. Be safe while having fun out there!