Egg Id

MarcoX

Hi Forum

Got a Chance to buy an Egg for a quite a reasonable Price. The Seller told me he bought the egg years ago from China and bought a whole nest with 12 eggs then. Would be great to know more about it, if its possible withe the attached Images.

Does anybody has experience with prepping an egg like this? Would you recommend this for a beginner?

Thanks

DSC00992.JPG

DSC00994.JPG

DSC00996.JPG

DSC00997.JPG

DSC00998.JPG

DSC01001.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

The egg looks very nice and real!  This is commonly referred to as a hadrosaur egg and it is cretaceous in age from China.  There appears to be almost full shell coverage under the calcite deposits and this egg could be extraordinarily beautiful if prepared correctly.

• I found this Informative 7

The egg you posted looks very nice. It is devoid of the typical matrix pedestal commonly seen. That's not bad, just different. The link above briefly relates some of my low-tech prep experience. It may be of interest. Good luck, have fun.

• I found this Informative 6

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Very nice egg MarcoX congrats. Looking for one of those for ages but they not easy to get anymore. Good luck with prepping, enjoy. Can't wait to see it when is done.

• I found this Informative 3

It is real. Good luck with prepping. I had good results with White River Preparium cleaning my hadrosaur egg.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Particularly I really enjoyed being able to see this taphonomic deformation, which by itself is already a great attestation of authenticity:

image.png.ef27d10225a7179dd4961f9355222d51.png

Although that the taphonomic deformation can be reproduced by artificial processes made by man. But that's not the case here! It's definitely a genuine fossilized dinosaur egg because, the morphology and arrangement of the shells in this egg is quite compatible with a real egg!

As might be expected from a genuine egg, I see that the calcite is strongly fused in some areas of the bark:

image.png.31f369e969442594b0cb61c5a2b61737.png

So it would be crazy for me to recommend acidic preparation, air abrasion, electric engraver, and other mechanical techniques if you do not have any experience, otherwise all you can get will blow your egg. I recommend taking it to a professional for preparation. In China these eggs are extremely common, but in our world these eggs are increasingly rare. So it pays to take it to a professional.

As an example, here is a genuine unprepared egg that is currently deposited in my private collection:

image.png.a8a85631392659fe364fdabd42a87e68.png

And now the same egg that was later prepared by me:

image.png.d693a4fba9675d6729d59fd1d10e6528.png

Note: No matter what happens, but keep this egg away from the water at any cost because the matrix is  extremely hydrophillic, unlike calcite which is usually much stronger!

:dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 7

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

This egg can only be safely prepared with air abrasives. I would use 100 micron aluminum oxide and start at about 60psi. I see that you are in Europe where iron powder is the preferred abrasive. This should work quite well also. Of course if you don't have a blasting setup and don't want to spend a significant amount of money to set one up, having it done by an experienced preparer would be a great alternative. I don't know about Europe, but I would charge no more than $100 to prep this egg (which is quite nice and would be great if prepped). If I'm not allowed to say that on the forum please redact my previous sentence.

• I found this Informative 4

3 hours ago, steelhead9 said:

This egg can only be safely prepared with air abrasives. I would use 100 micron aluminum oxide and start at about 60psi. I see that you are in Europe where iron powder is the preferred abrasive. This should work quite well also. Of course if you don't have a blasting setup and don't want to spend a significant amount of money to set one up, having it done by an experienced preparer would be a great alternative. I don't know about Europe, but I would charge no more than $100 to prep this egg (which is quite nice and would be great if prepped). If I'm not allowed to say that on the forum please redact my previous sentence.

Great price and definitely worth it! Setting up a preparation lab is very expensive, and here I would not charge less than $220 to prepare.

:dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 1

03.PNG

On 15.1.2019 at 9:35 PM, steelhead9 said:

Thanks for your answer. I will definetly not try to prep it by my self. I`m not sure, if i want to let it prepared, since i`m lucky to own a nice clutch of prepped hadrosaur eggs allready. 

DSC04814.thumb.jpg.a54efcc3c01057ff2dcbfda274e1f7fa.jpg

Would it be a Problem to send the egg to the us to get it prepped regarding customs etc.? Your offred price seems more than fair.

Wow @MarcoX am impressed, a very nice egg.  There is little for me to add, I would agree with the others here, especially take note of @Seguidora-de-Isis comments which show your egg is indeed most likely real. I would also agree with the advice from @steelhead9 on prep, eggs tend to be more tedious and require more patience than normal prep work. Eggs are not too difficult however to an even greater extent than bones, they are very unforgiving. Reassembling a fossil bone after a mistake is not necessarily easy however it is normally possible, the same often cannot be said for fossilized eggs.

Thank you my dear friend @CBchiefski!

Coming from you, this compliment is even more grandiose for me! I'm your fan! :D

image.png.70e5adf9129ccd364ca471131d5f5ea3.png

03.PNG

1 hour ago, ynot said:

And all the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put humpty dumpty together again!:(

Indeed sadly...

48 minutes ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Thank you my dear friend @CBchiefski!

Coming from you, this compliment is even more grandiose for me! I'm your fan! :D

Haha Thank you for spreading accurate information!