Trilobite head, maybe more?

daves64

I got a little curious with one of the pieces I won in the end of year auction. Got a bunch of nice stuff from @Pagurus & one was wrapped in foil (thought I got sent leftover turkey surprise or something). Nice sized chunk of rock from Deep Springs Road that had splits here & there. Anyhoo, back to the curious part. I tried (carefully) to split it along some of the areas & one small piece had what I originally thought at 1st glance was the impression of a gastropod until I looked again. Then I looked at the area it came off of & found the head (at least) of a small trilobite. I had to glue the right eye back on with a bit of rubber cement as I don't currently have any super glue. It literally fell off when I blew some dust off. I took a few pics, 2 of the impression & 3 more of the trilo-head, one showing the rock behind it more. Has some really nice definition on the eyes. 1st 2 pics are the impression. Can I get an I.D please? 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Cool. Think there might be more of it there? The rock behind it slopes upwards & the head seems to be angled up at the front.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Just now, daves64 said:

Cool. Think there might be more of it there? The rock behind it slopes upwards & the head seems to be angled up at the front.

You could check, but I'd be willing to bet that this is a moulted cephalon only. :( Full ones are fairly uncommon, whereas the moulted cephala and pygidia are much more likely to be encountered. Darn litter bugs! :D 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

This stuff seems fairly easy to work with, so I guess I'll see if I can find more. :D

• I found this Informative 1

If you encounter an axial ring just belong the occipital ring, you're in business. That's a quick way to check if it is likely complete. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I have no idea what that is, but I can look it up.

2 hours ago, daves64 said:

I have no idea what that is, but I can look it up.

Hey Daves, here is a diagram outlining some general anatomical structures. I hope this helps!

DorsalMorphology2.png.aead47d56556a66fd4be8fa4d60dc582.pngI'm

• I found this Informative 6

...I'm back.

6 hours ago, daves64 said:

I got a little curious with one of the pieces ...

I'm happy you did, Dave! Nice little Greenops cephalon. 

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.