Cen Tex Teeth and Cartilage

thair

Last Sunday after church I decided to get outside for a little while. It was 38 degrees and windy but we had bought the grandkids some coveralls for Christmas so away we went. So my son and his two kids age 7 and ten loaded up and went out to a spot near Lake Brownwood to hunt some. This is an area we usually find lots of crinoid, gastropods etc but only occasionally find shark material. My son had his brain and eyes tuned in because he found 3 of the four petalodus pictured below. I just found the one small one. We did not find all the pieces but they went back together pretty good. He also found the hunk of cartilage. Of course the kids filled up a bag each of other fossils before deciding to start throwing them in the water was more fun.

Fossil1-15-19.jpg

Fossil1-15-19f.jpg

Fossil1-15-19e.jpg

Fossil1-15-19b.jpg

Fossil1-15-19c.jpg

Fossil1-15-19g.jpg

Fossil1-15-19h.jpg

• I found this Informative 16

@thair Those are some AMAZING looking shark teeth! They are so different from those i've seen! I always wonder at the diversity of sharks and hope to collect a tooth from each species one day! (my goal in life):)

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

You must be an expert at puzzles, Tully!

Excellent finds and repairs! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Carl said:

Wow, Tully... Just WOW...

Thanks, Carl these were not at the clay pit. Did you see the cartilage? I looked for more 

• I found this Informative 1

Congratulations Tully. Really nice score on the Petalodus teeth and the cartilage. Excellent crinoid calyx too. Going through my finds from Brownwood recently as I'm organizing my storage cabinets. Had a great time collecting with you there.

Wow on the Petalodus teeth!!! I mean jackpot!!

Thanks for showing.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

Very nice finds.  That kid has a future.

Anyone else spend more time looking at the background of the in situ photos looking for other fossils.  I saw one picture there that had a nice coral in it.

14 hours ago, thair said:

Thanks, Carl these were not at the clay pit. Did you see the cartilage? I looked for more 

I did see that. You certainly have the magic eye! Can't wait to get out there and collect with you again...

3 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Tully- do you know what formation this is?

I told you I would get that for you sorry. I will look in my book tonight. If I don’t forget again 

10 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Tully- do you know what formation this is?

The formation is Colony Creek Shale. That’s as close as I can get

2 hours ago, thair said:

The formation is Colony Creek Shale. That’s as close as I can get

Thanks Tully!!!!

On 1/16/2019 at 8:00 AM, Carl said:

I did see that. You certainly have the magic eye! Can't wait to get out there and collect with you again...

The Paleo Society of Austin was at Wilson's last Saturday. It was cold and windy but that warm Texas sun made it a nice day. We were a small group and I didn't see anything spectacular collected but it was still a good hunt, I got a nice Deltodus tooth and some decent Petalodus crowns. Would have been that much better with you guys and JohnJ along.  

35 minutes ago, erose said:

The Paleo Society of Austin was at Wilson's last Saturday. It was cold and windy but that warm Texas sun made it a nice day. We were a small group and I didn't see anything spectacular collected but it was still a good hunt, I got a nice Deltodus tooth and some decent Petalodus crowns. Would have been that much better with you guys and JohnJ along.  

I hear that, Professor.