Can a partial tooth or tooth shard be correctly Id'd as a T-Rex?

fossilsonwheels

My son and I recently started an education non-profit using fossils. Since the little kids love dinosaurs, we decided to include them in our programs. I do not know much about Dinosaur fossils but I am trying learning on the fly. There is no way we can pick up a full tooth or large bone from a T-Rex. our purchasing power is limited. I did find a dealer that has several partial teeth or tooth shards listed as T-Rex. They are affordable for us and did come from Hell Creek. I am apprehensive about buying any of them though because I do not want to drop any money on something called a T-Rex unless I can be fairly certain that is what it is.  I do not possess enough knowledge to ID a partial tooth nor do I know if you even can correctly identify a tooth shard.

I will put to this those here with far more knowledge than I have.... Can you ID a tooth shard as T-Rex and if that is possible, what would you look for ?

Thank you in advance for any help that I can get

Show us some photos of your prospective purchases. Then ask a moderator to move this post to the Fossil ID section.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

2 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Show us some photos of your prospective purchases. Then ask a moderator to move this post to the Fossil ID section.

Thank you. I contacted a moderator and I will post some pictures

What are the sizes of all of the shards only one is shown.  

Edit:

Checked out listings

Shard 1 is actually from the Judith River Fm so its not T rex

Shard 2 is 1 1/8" long by 5/8" wide.  Could be T rex but cannot be certain

Shard 3 could be Trex but equally could be Nanotyrannus.  Fragment too small to be certain and serrations dont jump out and scream Rex but more like Nano.

Shard 4  did not find but needs to have serrations.  

Shards are very difficult to call unless they are big, tips of a tooth or serrations are large.  Prices of these fragments are nuts. 

While the real deal is tempting, I would be willing to bet for a fraction of the price, you could get a decent replica tooth

Just a thought, as you are on a limited budget. ;) 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

If you want to show the kids real theropod teeth, you can get some nice Carcharodontosaurus teeth for about the same or less than a Rex shard and a fraction of the price for a whole Rex tooth

Might not have the Rex's star power but show them a nice picture of it and it should be fine ;)

• I found this Informative 2

7 hours ago, TyBoy said:

What are the sizes of all of the shards only one is shown.  

Edit:

Checked out listings

Shard 1 is actually from the Judith River Fm so its not T rex

Shard 2 is 1 1/8" long by 5/8" wide.  Could be T rex but cannot be certain

Shard 3 could be Trex but equally could be Nanotyrannus.  Fragment too small to be certain and serrations dont jump out and scream Rex but more like Nano.

Shard 4  did not find but needs to have serrations.  

Shards are very difficult to call unless they are big, tips of a tooth or serrations are large.  Prices of these fragments are nuts. 

My first thought was the the prices for a tiny piece of T-rex tooth are ridculous lol I really appreciate your input. My son and I are leaning toward getting a Acheroraptor tooth instead and centering the program around that.

5 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

While the real deal is tempting, I would be willing to bet for a fraction of the price, you could get a decent replica tooth

Just a thought, as you are on a limited budget. ;) 

That is an option for sure. I think we just keep picking up inexpensive fossils that are not T-rex.

4 hours ago, Wightlight said:

If you want to show the kids real theropod teeth, you can get some nice Carcharodontosaurus teeth for about the same or less than a Rex shard and a fraction of the price for a whole Rex tooth

Might not have the Rex's star power but show them a nice picture of it and it should be fine ;)

That was another option we discussed and a good option. Thank you for that adivce