Sign in to follow this  
smt126

Hunting with kids

smt126

I've got a couple days off of work in mid June and asked my 4 and 8 year old if they want to do a mini fossil trip and they both of course said yes. I have the book Midwest gems, minerals, and fossils, but based on all the searches I've done on here, I'm guessing most of that is quite outdated. We live in Wisconsin and have done the mazon creek hunting as well as some roadcuts in Illinois, iowa, and minnesota. I was thinking indiana might be something new and fun and not too far away since I only have about 2 days. 

The st Leon roadcut is what got me interested, but I'm not sure what else is out there that's kid friendly and isn't going to get us in trouble. Crawfordsville would be cool, but sounds impossible for access?  Are there says to get into some of these creeks in Indiana legally from the roads? I've read about giant geodes in some as well. We have waders but the little guy is only a little over 3 feet tall. I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction or if I should consider somewhere else?

Thanks in advance for any info.

deutscheben

Falls of the Ohio State Park in Clarksville, IN (just across the river from Louisville, KY), has exhibits, extensive fossil beds you can walk on (but not collect from) and is supposed to have collecting piles behind the visitors center too, although I would call to check on that as the website seems a little out of date. https://www.fallsoftheohio.org/the-collecting-piles/

Fowler Park/ Griffin Bike Park in Vigo County in western Indiana are situated on the site of a former coal strip mine. Fossil collecting is not allowed, but walking the trails will turn up many Carboniferous plant fossils in nodules and shale that you can look at. 

smt126

I didn't realize the falls had a collecting pile as I'd looked at their site too. I'll have to look more info that.

So they officially stopped the collecting at Fowler park when they made the bike trail? I had thought that might be fun some day t check out as we have done mazon creek in the past and would be cool to compare.

I'm going to hit up the Cincinnati zoo 1 day as my son loves Fiona the hippo. I might venture a little into Ohio as well, but we shall see as we are on limited time.

Thanks again!

smt126

Also if you are in the area of crawfordsville or have another one of those nice crinoid collecting sites we would be happy to hunt together with lunch or dinner on me. It's always nice to meet a fellow tff member and be with an expert in their area. Warning the kids attention spans can vary depending on the day.

Shawn

deutscheben
On 1/20/2019 at 3:32 AM, smt126 said:

I didn't realize the falls had a collecting pile as I'd looked at their site too. I'll have to look more info that.

So they officially stopped the collecting at Fowler park when they made the bike trail? I had thought that might be fun some day t check out as we have done mazon creek in the past and would be cool to compare.

I'm going to hit up the Cincinnati zoo 1 day as my son loves Fiona the hippo. I might venture a little into Ohio as well, but we shall see as we are on limited time.

Thanks again!

You're welcome! Yes, Vigo County Parks changed their rules about 6 months after Griffin Bike Park opened, unfortunately.