Unknown Pelvis

pharoh

sorry i was so excited my pics are finally posting ,i forgot-5in.x5in.x4in. hawthorne formation,peace river, Arcadia ,Florida

sorry i was so excited my pics are finally posting ,i forgot-5in.x5in.x4in. hawthorne formation,peace river, Arcadia ,Florida

Great! I'm glad you are getting images to post. I like to see fossils from the Peace River, since I have spent a lot of time down there.

Now for the acetabulum/pelvis . . . It is unlikely that this bone came from the Hawthorn (no "E") Formation. Rather, it appears to be from a land mammal from overlying Pleistocene deposits. You get a real mix in the river. This mixed-age material, out of depositional context, is called "float."

Float material is dated biochronologically. For example, when you find a Carcharocles megalodon tooth on the river bottom, you can date it to "Mio-Pliocene" because we know the broad dates of the sediments in the Bone Valley, and we know the broad dates of the species. We can cross-reference to see how old the tooth could possibly be.

When you start making these age references, you should get your labels right. All your shark teeth may be labelled:

Mio-Pliocene (Messinian)

Bone Valley Member

Peace River Formation

Hawthorn Group

[Polk] County, FL

Land mammal fossils in my drawer are labelled simply:

Pleistocene

Peace River

[Polk] County, FL

Good hunting!

Edited by Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page