Mammoth

rebu

Hi, recently I was looking for a Mammoths tooth to add to my collection. I did manage to get nice tooth but as it happens I did bring home this bone with it :) It's a Mammoths leg bone from Hungary. Is it possible to identify exactly which bone is it? Bone is still in my workshop and I am not sure if I should make a stand for it and add it to my collection, need opinion from someone experienced. Is it a nice sample or is it fairly common? What about condition? Should I get better one and part with this one? What do you think? 

20190116_121808.jpg

20190116_121735.jpg

20190116_121700.jpg

20190116_121329.jpg

Edited by rebu
  • I found this Informative 1

I think this is a proximal radius.  The distinction for me is the broken distal end which flares into a thin buttress . . . like a radius, but unlike a tibia.

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thank you all for help. I think you might be right Harry Pristis. February I am going to our National museum in Prague and I will take the bone with me to see what they can tell me. If I get more information I will post it here.

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, caldigger said:

That thing is half the size of my apartment!

:hearty-laugh:you right the bone is big but maybe you should start looking for a bigger place, I might have to move there with you after my wife finds this thing:bone: in our living room.