Russian shark teeth ID

DatFossilBoy

Hello guys!

I saw these shark teeth from Ryazan, Russia.

The first 6 ( you can put numbers to the teeth according to the order of the pictures ) are identified as Archeolamna.

The second 4 are identified as Cretalamna.

I am very sure some are not IDed correctly, some swapped btw Cretalamna and Archeolamna and some are completely different species.

I really appreciate the help, and if someone could tell me the complete specie name from that location, that would be awesome.

Kind regards.

Ps : tell me if you need extra pics of the back of the teeth if needed.

12F23E08-F32A-453C-8C55-B5E19E22D056.jpeg

0B25369B-BEB6-401A-9792-F4EE48C5A2AE.jpeg

DEF5FDC7-78A2-468A-AA09-1BB59A4BCB7A.jpeg

4971A402-BF9F-44C4-89AA-41CEFD39D022.jpeg

07917E84-DAAE-4BB5-B488-C3B05D88B0CA.jpeg

4B685880-50E3-458B-B93B-A13C895ED1DA.jpeg

In the first set of pics #2 and#4 look like Archeolamna and #5 looks like Cretalamna to me. They look just like what is found in the Cretaceous streams of New Jersery.  The rest of the teeth, while they look similar, I myself am not confident enough to say what they are for sure.

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Here are my Archeolamna for comparison.

20190116_101753.thumb.jpg.664341445e430866d3237f91f263892a.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Beautiful teeth either way!

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

I would like to mention that my Cretalamna are Cretalamna appendiculata and all the ones shown are upper teeth I traded or gave away all my lowers. The bottom tooth in the right corner is the only one I found at Douglas Point Maryland.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

6 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Here are my Cretalamna  for comparison.

Thank you! Very helpful.

Sooo I think If I am not mistaken, number 5 of the first batch and number 3 and 4 of the second batch are Cretalamna, the rest are Archeolamna. However I think I might be missing some Cretalamna but not sure...

What do you think? 

Kind regards.

6 hours ago, DatFossilBoy said:

Thank you! Very helpful.

Sooo I think If I am not mistaken, number 5 of the first batch and number 3 and 4 of the second batch are Cretalamna, the rest are Archeolamna. However I think I might be missing some Cretalamna but not sure...

What do you think? 

Kind regards.

I think the teeth that you mentioned, are indeed, Cretalamna.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

In the first group, #5 is Cretalamna.  In the 2nd group #1 is Archaeolamna.   Everything else is likely correct. 

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

8 hours ago, Darktooth said:

I would like to mention that my Cretalamna are Cretalamna appendiculata and all the ones shown are upper teeth I traded or gave away all my lowers. The bottom tooth in the right corner is the only one I found at Douglas Point Maryland.

Hey Dave,

I was going to say, that one on the lower right definitely doesn’t match any NJ Cretalamnas I’ve seen. The preservation and especially the very deep basal margin are like the Paleocene Maryland ones.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Archaeolamna ex. gr. kopingensis - 1,2,3,4,6 in the first post and 1 in the second post

Cretolamna catoxodon - all others

There were no Cretalamna appendiculata in both Cenomanian of Russia and Campanian of New Jersey, C. appendiculata is a Turonian species, by the way

The Tooth Fairy

On 1/17/2019 at 12:21 PM, Anomotodon said:

Archaeolamna ex. gr. kopingensis - 1,2,3,4,6 in the first post and 1 in the second post

Cretolamna catoxodon - all others

There were no Cretalamna appendiculata in both Cenomanian of Russia and Campanian of New Jersey, C. appendiculata is a Turonian species, by the way

Where did you get your information that Cretalamna appendiculata did not occur in New Jersey. There are multiple New Jersey fossil identification websites that call these teeth Cretalamna appendiculata as assigned by Agassiz 1843.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

54 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Where did you get your information that Cretalamna appendiculata did not occur in New Jersey. There are multiple New Jersey fossil identification websites that call these teeth Cretalamna appendiculata as assigned by Agassiz 1843.

That is outdated information since C. appendiculata is constantly used as a wastebasket taxon for different tooth morphologies ranging Albian to Eocene. Siversson et al., 2015 attempted to break up this species into multiple, and C. appendiculata (based on Aggasiz specimens) is now strictly a rare Cenomanian - Turonian species. Campanian teeth from NJ are either C. borealis or C. sarcoportheta.

https://www.app.pan.pl/article/item/app20120137.html

The Tooth Fairy

13 minutes ago, Anomotodon said:

That is outdated information since C. appendiculata is constantly used as a wastebasket taxon for different tooth morphologies ranging Albian to Eocene. Siversson et al., 2015 attempted to break up this species into multiple, and C. appendiculata (based on Aggasiz specimens) is now strictly a rare Cenomanian - Turonian species. Campanian teeth from NJ are either C. borealis or C. sarcoportheta.

https://www.app.pan.pl/article/item/app20120137.html

Thank-you for the information. I wasn't aware of this.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg