danielp

Post Oak creek, Sherman TX echinoid

Darktooth

Nice little find. Sorry I can't help with ID.

Fossildude19

Tidgy's Dad

Salenia mexicana? 

Uncle Siphuncle
54 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Salenia mexicana? 

Younger than that.  Caught flat footed at the moment, but I’d suggest looking at the documented saleniids of the Austin Group.  Not aware of any from the Eagle Ford.

PFOOLEY

erose
44 minutes ago, PFOOLEY said:

What? who? me...?

Possibly an eroded Bathysalenia....kicking this to @JohnJ.

DPS Ammonite

Another possibility: an old post by @Uncle Siphuncle mentions S. hondoensis from the Upper Cretaceous Anacacho Fm. The photo from Dan is no longer visible. Maybe Dan can repost it.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/4838-texas-salenia-project/

Do not forget the possibility that it was from a different area and was lost by a collector. I have seen foreign fossils next to parking areas at POC and nearby Sand Creek.

Heteromorph

To my untrained eye this doesn't look like Bathysalenia skylari, but that is the only documented saleniid that I can find from the Austin Group. I know there are multiple saleniids from the overlying Taylor group like, as DPS Ammonite said, Salenia hondoensis, and Salenia whitneyi, Salenia pseuodowhitneyi, and Dan's Salenia sp., so there were probably multiple saleniids about in era of the Austin. Maybe it is B. skylarki and the erosion is throwing me off. 

Here are Salenia pseudowhitneyi specimens and a Salenia sp. specimen from one of Dan's trip reports in figures 88-94. 

March 15, 2009: Echinoid Odyssey, Day Two

Uncle Siphuncle
2 hours ago, Heteromorph said:

To my untrained eye this doesn't look like Bathysalenia skylari, but that is the only documented saleniid that I can find from the Austin Group. I know there are multiple saleniids from the overlying Taylor group like, as DPS Ammonite said, Salenia hondoensis, and Salenia whitneyi, Salenia pseuodowhitneyi, and Dan's Salenia sp., so there were probably multiple saleniids about in era of the Austin. Maybe it is B. skylarki and the erosion is throwing me off. 

Here are Salenia pseudowhitneyi specimens and a Salenia sp. specimen from one of Dan's trip reports in figures 88-94. 

March 15, 2009: Echinoid Odyssey, Day Two

Pics not with me on my phone, but I doubt anything Campanian would make its way into POC by natural transport process.  If this one was dropped in the creek by an itinerant Lower K collector with a hole in his pocket, he picked it up already worn, as this one rolled around quite a bit at some point.

Heteromorph
12 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Pics not with me on my phone, but I doubt anything Campanian would make its way into POC by natural transport process.  If this one was dropped in the creek by an itinerant Lower K collector with a hole in his pocket, he picked it up already worn, as this one rolled around quite a bit at some point.

I was just saying that since there were still so many species of saleniids in the Campanian that there probably were multiple species in the Turonian/Coniacian and that maybe a few of the Campanian species ranged down into the lower Austin.