Post Oak creek, Sherman TX echinoid

danielp

Here is an echinoid I collected several years ago while sifting in Post Oak Creek in Sherman Texas. I haven't ever seen another one come from there. Anyone have an idea on the identity of it. The grid paper is in mm so this echinoid is approximately 10x10 millimeters in size. 

20190116_084327 20190116_084342

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

54 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Salenia mexicana? 

Younger than that.  Caught flat footed at the moment, but I’d suggest looking at the documented saleniids of the Austin Group.  Not aware of any from the Eagle Ford.

• I found this Informative 3

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Another possibility: an old post by @Uncle Siphuncle mentions S. hondoensis from the Upper Cretaceous Anacacho Fm. The photo from Dan is no longer visible. Maybe Dan can repost it.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/4838-texas-salenia-project/

Do not forget the possibility that it was from a different area and was lost by a collector. I have seen foreign fossils next to parking areas at POC and nearby Sand Creek.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

To my untrained eye this doesn't look like Bathysalenia skylari, but that is the only documented saleniid that I can find from the Austin Group. I know there are multiple saleniids from the overlying Taylor group like, as DPS Ammonite said, Salenia hondoensis, and Salenia whitneyi, Salenia pseuodowhitneyi, and Dan's Salenia sp., so there were probably multiple saleniids about in era of the Austin. Maybe it is B. skylarki and the erosion is throwing me off. 

Here are Salenia pseudowhitneyi specimens and a Salenia sp. specimen from one of Dan's trip reports in figures 88-94. 

March 15, 2009: Echinoid Odyssey, Day Two

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Heteromorph said:

To my untrained eye this doesn't look like Bathysalenia skylari, but that is the only documented saleniid that I can find from the Austin Group. I know there are multiple saleniids from the overlying Taylor group like, as DPS Ammonite said, Salenia hondoensis, and Salenia whitneyi, Salenia pseuodowhitneyi, and Dan's Salenia sp., so there were probably multiple saleniids about in era of the Austin. Maybe it is B. skylarki and the erosion is throwing me off. 

Here are Salenia pseudowhitneyi specimens and a Salenia sp. specimen from one of Dan's trip reports in figures 88-94. 

March 15, 2009: Echinoid Odyssey, Day Two

Pics not with me on my phone, but I doubt anything Campanian would make its way into POC by natural transport process.  If this one was dropped in the creek by an itinerant Lower K collector with a hole in his pocket, he picked it up already worn, as this one rolled around quite a bit at some point.

• I found this Informative 2

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

12 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Pics not with me on my phone, but I doubt anything Campanian would make its way into POC by natural transport process.  If this one was dropped in the creek by an itinerant Lower K collector with a hole in his pocket, he picked it up already worn, as this one rolled around quite a bit at some point.

I was just saying that since there were still so many species of saleniids in the Campanian that there probably were multiple species in the Turonian/Coniacian and that maybe a few of the Campanian species ranged down into the lower Austin. 

Definitely not a Bathysalenia species.  Based on the ambulacral orientation to the apical plates, this is a Leptosalenia species.  I am also inclined to think this echinoid was found elsewhere and transported there by one of the hundreds of fossil collectors that frequent that creek.

• I found this Informative 4

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ