Carbon Dating

Guest FastFingersFurley

Guest FastFingersFurley

I understand the basic premise of carbon dating. Does anyone know how much material would be needed in order to provide an accurate date?

i can't remember but google it and you'll find labs and they'll say what is required. all i know is i can't afford it, it's destructive testing, and it doesn't work on stuff that's very old. what was it, 60K years? can't remember, but there are other types of radiometric dating, like uranium/lead that work on the older stuff. gotta be stuff that when you tell it to get a life, it tells you to wait a few millions years, so you tell it to just get a half-life, and it tells you that wasn't very funny but it'll laugh in an epoch or so...

Guest FastFingersFurley

I like your wit tracer. not too serious, not too baudy. 14c is 5,730 years. One guy wanted 700 grams of cortical bone, but, he was fairly cheap. 700 grams would obliterate my find into a faceless piece of elephant-sized distal-end coral.....another guy wanted like 10 grams and I am fairly sure my bone woulda ended up in the same dump anyway. So far I have only checked a couple of sites and yes, they are pricey ;(

So far the Museum of Natural Science in my town has ignored me.....dang....the Karankawas knew what it was. Why won't they tell me ;)

hmmm, i don't think of the karankawas and the pleistocene together, normally.

but sounds like you're not too far from me. the akokisas hung around my area. life must have been very, very difficult for them.