Dinosaur Egg Fossil

Mandah85

Hi everyone I’m not sure how this forum works I just wanted to get some info about this “real dinosaur egg” my grandpa recently passed away he was an antiques dealer and this was one of his prized possessions.

194531BD-DAB6-4E76-98D5-AE16FBE2EB52.thumb.jpeg.4f3792e46559fcd632615707fd898a09.jpeg

That looks authentic to me.  I think it is often attributed to a species of Hadrosaur and from China.  Let's see what others say.

• I found this Informative 3

I am sorry to hear of your loss. Since your Grandfather had an interest in this intriguing object, I hope that is a reflection of a long and interesting life. 

From the small image alone, your object has the appearance of a fossil egg often ascribed as Hadrosaur. These eggs of Chinese origin are fairly common, but very coliectible. Unfortunately, this has caused a huge upswing in the number of "enhanced" and absolutely fake eggs being offered for sale. Do you have any concept of how long your Grandfather owned this piece or where he acquired it? 

As to this Forum's assistance/opinion, more and more detailed photos would help. Unfortunately, in-hand is the optimal condition for evaluation, but sharp photos do assist in distance evaluation.

As I said, from the small photo above it has the look of a genuine fossil egg. Good luck, there are several here with considerable experience in this area.

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

The egg looks genuine and is commonly referred to as a hadrosaur egg, Cretaceous in age from China as others have said. 

Until someone else comes in to definitively tell us if @Mandah85‘s is real or not here are some conclusively real ones to compare to

And @Seguidora-de-Isis‘s specimen here

And a good thread here by @-Andy- that looks at fake and partial eggs.

• I found this Informative 2

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

I think your grandfather's prized possession is a beautiful and genuine dinosaur egg. :)

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

More pics would help but it certainly looks real to me. Sorry to hear about your loss.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

On 1/16/2019 at 9:35 PM, Mandah85 said:

Hi everyone I’m not sure how this forum works I just wanted to get some info about this “real dinosaur egg” my grandpa recently passed away he was an antiques dealer and this was one of his prized possessions.

Sorry to hear, do you have any better pictures? From what I can discern the egg appears to be real, however, am not confident since the picture does not give enough detail.

My sister took some pictures but they weren’t the best but hopefully they help identify it a little better. 

C22BF924-06D5-465E-82A4-B5B7ABCD7AAA.jpeg

DC3B180A-619A-4FEC-9B22-2BC7C7EAF9EE.jpeg

00F284F3-7ABF-4407-B732-80AFB8EDC8BF.jpeg

B94CC3F4-575B-4009-B04E-F32FE7057EF1.jpeg