Fake of the day

This "Selenopeltis gallica" is currently being auctioned online.   The seller assures us that it is authentic.  Well, it is an authentic rock carving.

fake=selenopeltis-gallica.png

• I found this Informative 1

sometimes I wonder why they even bother making completely fake fossils. there seems to be a lot of work in making those mostriosities.

I supose common fossils dont sell well enough so they try to sell fake rare species. 

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Could there be some real core to this, but the prep job was so bad, they left dings all over the carapace just as they did around it, as well as carving out the missing spines?

5 yr old: "Look mommy! I made a :trilo: with my playdo!"

Mother: "Yes you did.. Let's put it on **** and sell it. "

:D

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

As a beginner.....

Can someone please point out why this is fake.

Thanks

Lack of symmetry, axial rings do not align with pleurae, texture indistinguishable from the matrix, irregular spines (bulging rather than tapering in some places), right occipital horn at same horizon where the axial rings should be, wrong morphology for the axial rings, etc. 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

They better be selling it as trilobite-inspired abstract art.:rofl:

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

This species (when authentic!) is found in the Ouine-Inirne Formation in the Tafraoute region. They are not uncommon per se, but tough to find complete, and even tougher to prepare, resulting in the occasional grafting composition of parts. 

• I found this Informative 3

The seller may have bought it thinking it was legit and is therefore selling it as legit with no thought to question it. They may know almost nothing about fossils so don't know what to look for and don't have the thought or desire to question.

If I was going to go through the trouble to "fake" a fossil, I sure would put more into it than this person did. :P I played around with casting fossil replicas for a while in order to learn how to restore specimens when asked and even my worst were better than this one.

3 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

...and even my worst were better than this one.

:hearty-laugh:

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

The seller is selling a whole bunch of Moroccan fossils, mostly trilobites.  A couple of the other trilobites are ones I'm pretty certain are fake.  A few are almost certainly real.  And there are bunch of trilobites where I'm not sure, they might be real and they might not, but I sure as heck wouldn't buy them from that dealer.

" Could there be some real core to this, but the prep job was so bad, they left dings all over the carapace just as they did around it, as well as carving out the missing spines? "

No.  This one is fake from start to finish.  100% pure, authentic, no-substitutes-accepted fake.

I don't know a lot, but that's not even close to being real! Thanks for sharing!

These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.

19 hours ago, Kane said:

Lack of symmetry, axial rings do not align with pleurae, texture indistinguishable from the matrix, irregular spines (bulging rather than tapering in some places), right occipital horn at same horizon where the axial rings should be, wrong morphology for the axial rings, etc. 

What exactly are the issues I have highlighted?? 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

It hurts me to know that many novice shoppers believe when the description comes with the word "Top Rare"! :(

03.PNG

2 hours ago, Davidevi82 said:

They also issue certificate of "authenticity" :wacko::angry:

That's probably a bad fake as well. :hearty-laugh:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

3 minutes ago, rew said:

Well, some lucky bidder walked away with that rock carving for $113.

No that makes me sad but I also don’t understand why buys don’t do some research before spending money like that. I was unaware of this bug and it took no time at all to find images of real ones to compare.  :(

There are inferior works of art that cost well over $ 113. Imagine the seller's job to even offer Certificate of Authenticity for this masterpiece and even then all here do not recognize it. In my opinion you all have no artistic sensibility!

:ighappy:

image.png.83843d2e8a617d3f97b85ff56fd71556.png

03.PNG

Another fake, this time of a Uralichas hispanicus. Note how the left pleural segment and axial ring spawns two on the other side where circled. Also note the lack of symmetry in the pygidial area and the curious blunting of the pygidial spine. I would say if there is anything authentic in this piece, it would be the glabella and a few of the axial rings below it, only. 

68266180-39AD-4B0B-9D44-611DFFED4D5B.jpeg.2615f0196039f4a236d662fcbcb2842e.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2