Dermotthefossilhunter

Anyone know where to find some fossils in Western Australia

Dermotthefossilhunter

I just started fossil hunting and was wondering if anyone knew of some fossil sites in Western Australia to start hunting at? Thanks Dermot

Tidgy's Dad

Hello, Dermot, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! :)

Good luck with your quest and hope we get to see the results. 

Macrophyseter

I think it's best to get advice from top shark paleontologist Mikael Siverson @MikaelS. He's done regular fossil trips in Australia (I think mostly West Australia?). I think he still organizes them, but I'm not sure.

Paleoworld-101

Molecap Hill Quarry is meant to be pretty good, only about an hours drive from Perth. You can find Late Cretaceous (Maastrichtian stage) shark teeth, invertebrates and maybe a piece of marine reptile bone if you're very lucky. Search here on the forum for it as a few members have done trip reports from here. 

Macrophyseter

Siverson (1999) shows an exact locality for the Gearle Siltstone, which is mapped in the picture below (Siverson, 1999)

image.png.a6d5638b65033a9e27a3160c83d703e4.png

Gearle Siltstone is Cenomanian in age and has marine fossils including shark teeth of various large species including Cretolamna and Ptychodus. This is also where Siverson found the Cardabiodon ricki holotype. You should probably ask him about more specific details of that place.

Dermotthefossilhunter
7 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

Siverson (1999) shows an exact locality for the Gearle Siltstone, which is mapped in the picture below (Siverson, 1999)

image.png.a6d5638b65033a9e27a3160c83d703e4.png

Gearle Siltstone is Cenomanian in age and has marine fossils including shark teeth of various large species including Cretolamna and Ptychodus. This is also where Siverson found the Cardabiodon ricki holotype. You should probably ask him about more specific details of that place.

Thanks

Dermotthefossilhunter
10 hours ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

Molecap Hill Quarry is meant to be pretty good, only about an hours drive from Perth. You can find Late Cretaceous (Maastrichtian stage) shark teeth, invertebrates and maybe a piece of marine reptile bone if you're very lucky. Search here on the forum for it as a few members have done trip reports from here. 

Thanks a lot might do a trip up with my mum we are 4 hours south of Perth but sounds interesting 

Dermotthefossilhunter
21 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Hello, Dermot, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! :)

Good luck with your quest and hope we get to see the results. 

Thanks

Paleoworld-101
11 hours ago, Dermotthefossilhunter said:

Thanks a lot might do a trip up with my mum we are 4 hours south of Perth but sounds interesting 

Nice, ElToro would be the member to speak to as he goes there a lot.

Also a correction: the site is Santonian in age.

rodrex

Hi Dermot, welcome to the forum. The  Tamala Limestone is also full of fossils and extends around most of the south-west. Save you driving for 4 hours just for some late Cretaceous brachiopods, you do find teeth at Gingin, but they are small and hard-won. I would suggest that you have a look at a geology map and go from there.

cheers

R