Sacramento Mountains lower Pennsylvanian (Gobbler)

Kato

Some shots of the permineralized material contact zone

24" long x 16" wide

image.png.c36d4823054249b9a7c59c2020d30d5d.png

Contact zone of above large piece

image.png.f9b185ddc34f300565b997f5a440a8e6.png

Observed contact zone in situ

image.png.da753aab5ae2417b3aba02adeca8ed59.png

Side view of piece of material

image.png.ca9c7767c6708ecdfd815b9aad51f478.png

So cool! Are these on public land, or are they private?  We have access to a cabin down 16 Springs Canyon Road near Cloudcroft.  Would love to do a hike like that.  

7 hours ago, gwestbrook said:

So cool! Are these on public land, or are they private?  We have access to a cabin down 16 Springs Canyon Road near Cloudcroft.  Would love to do a hike like that.  

Hi,

My trips are all on public land. Most of my finds are far off the beaten trail though. I am trying to blast out as many big hikes as I can during the fall-winter-early spring seasons. Once it gets to be May to mid-September it is very difficult to hike for long down here due to the heat or the crazy monsoons rains during late summer.

3 hours ago, Kato said:

Hi,

My trips are all on public land. Most of my finds are far off the beaten trail though. I am trying to blast out as many big hikes as I can during the fall-winter-early spring seasons. Once it gets to be May to mid-September it is very difficult to hike for long down here due to the heat or the crazy monsoons rains during late summer.

Yes, I've experienced both the heat and the monsoon rains in that area and in AZ and UT as well. 

On 20.1.2019 at 12:18 AM, Kato said:

Another oddity in a rock containing brachiopods

image.png.91230b0db5c5d7b14a545524b810cc93.png

Looks like a weathered cross section through a gastropod to me. Are some of these fossils silicified or dolomitized?

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

17 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Looks like a weathered cross section through a gastropod to me. Are some of these fossils silicified or dolomitized?

The short answer is maybe. I do have some specimens that have quartz crystals associated with them. One with crystals inside. The one with the oddity has a small patch of crystals just above the right shape.

• I found this Informative 1