gerardo gonzalez

Friends, this time I seek the help of a connoisseur of fossil corals, they are from the Neocomiano (Lower Cretaceous), from a town near Tehuacán, in the State of Puebla (Mexico). The scale is in centimeters. I appreciate your help because although I have dedicated myself to reading the scientific literature of the area, I am an amateur, and many of them are very similar. Of those who have an idea, I put their name for them to say. regards

20190116_141316.jpg

Calamophyllia sandbergeri.jpg

I will be no help on the ID, but will comment that the excellent images you have posted will certainly assist members in making IDs. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Gracias Quer by drawing my atention to this post. I have been recently quite busy.

OK, Gerardo, to start with (and sorry for snolly50): all solitary look alike from the outside. The material must bei either excellently preserved ("no sediment") or the coral must be easily recognisable, to be able to say something just from a image of the specimen. In the mentioned locality (I guess you mean San Juan Raya, that is Late Valanginian to Early Hauterivian according to nano fossils) the most common solitary genus is Plesiosmilia, but I cannot rule out that your material may belong to other genera, such as Trochophyllia, Placoseris, or Montlivaltia.

You have got two options. (1) Keep the samples as they are and enjoy their nearly perfect conservation. (2) Cut the corals in a rectangular angle to growth direction, about two thirds from below. Polish the surface (abrasive papers "lijas" from the home deport are fine, 200 400 600, with watre,  step by step), scan the resultating surface with water on a flatbed scanner and come back.

• I found this Informative 1