BobWill

Jacksboro Fossils displayed in Mckinney Texas

DPS Ammonite

Good job Bob. Now if our local museums would have similar displays of Arizona fossils. You have inspired me; I am going to try to put together a collection of Arizona fossil from friends to display at a local museum.

Wrangellian

That's an amazing orthocone! Much larger than anything I've seen from that area (which isn't saying much, but...)

BobWill
40 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Good job Bob. Now if our local museums would have similar displays of Arizona fossils. You have inspired me; I am going to try to put together a collection of Arizona fossil from friends to display at a local museum.

Great idea John. I'll bet the Heard Museum would be happy to answer any questions they might have for implementing the program.  Even if the public isn't as enthused as the contributors at least it gives some of us an idea of what goes into museum displays.

BobWill
3 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

That's an amazing orthocone! Much larger than anything I've seen from that area (which isn't saying much, but...)

If you mean the last photo that's a clam! I thought the same thing as you when I first saw it peaking out from under the matrix but I soon recognized the growth pattern from the usual, much smaller versions we find there. We are having some disagreement over whether it is Aviculopinna peracuta or Meekopinna americana but at 18 inches it is much longer than the usual 7 inch ones we find here.

KimTexan

Wow! That clam is Carboniferous? That’s amazing. I don’t have a fondness for clams, but I can certainly appreciate the rarity of such a specimen and be impressed by it. 

Wrangellian
1 hour ago, BobWill said:

If you mean the last photo that's a clam! I thought the same thing as you when I first saw it peaking out from under the matrix but I soon recognized the growth pattern from the usual, much smaller versions we find there. We are having some disagreement over whether it is Aviculopinna peracuta or Meekopinna americana but at 18 inches it is much longer than the usual 7 inch ones we find here.

Ha! I didn't look at the label closely, otherwise I might have caught that. Never seen a clam that long and straight. Bizarre... Still an amazing specimen.

Nice collection and display, btw.

Ludwigia
11 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Ha! I didn't look at the label closely, otherwise I might have caught that. Never seen a clam that long and straight. Bizarre... Still an amazing specimen.

You can find modern day versions scattered all over the beaches in Holland, but of course they're not quite as large as the Mediterranean ones                                

Wrangellian

I'm familiar with Pinna but that thing looked so different I did not recognize it.

Fossildude19

Bob,

Thanks for the interesting post, and for loaning your fossils for the display. :) 

This kind of Public Outreach is a great way to get people interested in this hobby. 

RJB

A most interesting clam!   Thanks for sharing.

RB

Jeffrey P

Thanks Bob for sharing your display with us. It's great that the public is getting to see and appreciate the amazing diversity and preservation of Jacksboro's Carboniferous marine fossils. I'm in the process of organizing and IDing my Jacksboro specimens for my new cabinet and can probably use a little ID help on a few.  

BobWill
3 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Thanks Bob for sharing your display with us. It's great that the public is getting to see and appreciate the amazing diversity and preservation of Jacksboro's Carboniferous marine fossils. I'm in the process of organizing and IDing my Jacksboro specimens for my new cabinet and can probably use a little ID help on a few.  

That's great Jeff. The best help I can offer is that pictorial guide I messaged you a link to but feel free to ask away if that doesn't help. DPSAmminite sent some corrections to the display labels that cropped up from the museum staff so these photos have some minor mistakes.