Texas Fossil hunting to end my trip

Al Tahan

Hey everyone,

I got back back from my trip to Austin, Texas on Monday and I’m finally getting around to this lol. Been playing catch up at work and getting distracted when I get on the forum reading about finds like Kim’s bison ha.

Besides my trip to Oklahoma I did do some fossil hunting very close to Austin thanks to Erich @erose. I spent probably 4 hours at a nice roadcut split up into 2 trips. Once wasn’t enough! 

Erich did a trip here recently and that’s where I learned that this is lower Cretaceous material. I don’t think I’ve ever hunted Mesozoic fossils in situ before until last week :) 

1C7380E7-F58A-423C-A952-C11536F247D3.jpeg

21FE2A69-AC00-469A-8410-08BC47FCF809.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

The general findings were oysters and internal molds of gastropods and some nice bivalves of many sizes. I was on the hunt for echnoids cause I saw a few Erich found and I really thought they were cool. 

43AE76C3-B3F4-4762-85EA-41A4E01287AE.jpeg

06C5A8EA-3E38-4B86-9CC5-B840D7894166.jpeg

6D484BC4-3512-428B-9C7F-D5B108C74760.jpeg

• I found this Informative 8

I had to look really hard but I found these little guys. I have one more but it’s in real rough shape haha. These really made my day

B1058D3C-AE77-478B-9BBB-D4FF9EDF24B5.jpeg

D4680EF4-B89D-4A68-A694-75EECD1759EC.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

Here are a few last shots. Just some close ups of a few specimens I liked a lot. I really liked the large bivalves I had to pluck them right off the wall cause it seemed they get destroyed quick. The oysters were cool. I found one with both valves still together. 

95A35036-9EC5-4A96-944F-0122014D7F53.jpeg

77D97C0C-91EB-4B60-AC7E-9A54C038528A.jpeg

80811756-9425-4312-AC2E-0CC039A0B2D1.jpeg

6224F82D-D4D6-464F-880C-D3075424A731.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

In conclusion I had a great trip and got to do a little Texas hunting and Oklahoma trilobite hunting. I did however get a piece of a Texas ammonite hahaha :rofl:.....I actually found a partial on a walk in a neighborhood very close to downtown Austin. I made a post saying how badly I wanted a Texas ammonite and for the most part they don’t grow in trees. I did find a tiny piece and my fiancé had to tease me about it lol.  

21501FA2-27F5-4907-BF7C-D224045DE1E1.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Very nice! The little ammonite piece is to tease you into going back to get a full one.:ighappy:

• I found this Informative 1

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Very nice finds! Love the oysters!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Great finds! I was near Austin during December looking for a road cut-out like that. You were MUCH more successful than me. :shrug:

Every cut-out I found was barren, and every creek I found had a rancher's fence blocking my path. 

Plenty of ammonites to be found at Lake Texoma, especially on the Texas side. 

Nice to see your report. You definitely found a good sampling of fossils. For your records you were in the Bee Cave Member of the Walnut Formation, Fredricksburg Group. Th age is Albian (Early Cretaceous) right around 105mya. 

The two echinoids are Coenholectypus planatus and Loriolia rosana.  The ornate oyster is Ceratostreon texana.  

So glad you at least found a piece of ammonite. If you were closer to downtown there is a very good possibility it is Upper Cretaceous in age. 

Austin_geology.pdf

Edited by erose
changed lower to early
  • I found this Informative 9

So, did your fiance' tell you that size really doesn't matter?

Well don't worry you posted it up really well.

• I found this Informative 2

Congratulations Al, on your first Mesozoic fossils in situ, especially your first echinoids. Nice haul. Let me say, Texas is definitely worth spending time in.

I am happy for you, that you were able to get away from New York and the cold for at least a little while. Being able to get in a couple good hunts are just icing on the cake! Congratulations!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Great finds.  I love Texas fossils.  I wish I can come back.  I am asking my husband if I can spend like $1000 for airline ticket, hotel, and a car and I will only eat McDonald to back to Dallas on a weekend to collect fossils.  He does not say anything :(.

@UtahFossilHunter I do want to go back someday! Maybe then I’ll get a bigger one lol. 

@FossilsAnonymous @Max-fossils thanks! 

@facehugger I checked out a few roadcuts I saw here and there and came up with the same as you. I got lucky to find that partial ammonite.

@goatinformationist :ighappy:

@OwlEyes I had to be here by chance. I’d never get a special fossil trip across the country past my fiancé lol. 

• I found this Informative 2

@Darktooth ugh this weather makes me want to go back...it’s so terrible in upstate New York...people don’t know our pain lol. Spring please come early this year 

@Jeffrey P I really want to go back someday. I still have some bucket list goals from Texas :). I did get to check Mesozoic off my list and The echnoids really made my trip for sure. 

18 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

I had to look really hard but I found these little guys. I have one more but it’s in real rough shape haha. These really made my day

"Seek and ye shall find" (Eventually. As long as you don't give up :P). A nice conclusion to your southern sojourn. Thanks for posting.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Congrats on a great Texan hunt, Al!  I love all of it, but the second, tiny echinoid is especially adorable!!! :wub: