Jump to content
Nimravis

Crinoid and Petalodus Tooth Help

Recommended Posts

Darktooth

Nice acquisitions Ralph!  Sorry I can't help with ID!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnBrewer

Love the crinoids!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
daves64

I think I need to start shopping in your area. :drool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis
50 minutes ago, daves64 said:

I think I need to start shopping in your area. :drool:

Dave I forgot to put down what I paid for these items. For the crinoid I paid $20 and for the Petalodus tooth I paid $45.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
daves64
40 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Dave I forgot to put down what I paid for these items. For the crinoid I paid $20 and for the Petalodus tooth I paid $45.  

I have a $20. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis
23 minutes ago, daves64 said:

I have a $20. :D

Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kato
1 hour ago, Nimravis said:

Dave I forgot to put down what I paid for these items. For the crinoid I paid $20 and for the Petalodus tooth I paid $45.  

I've somehow managed to not buy a fossil to date, but I can darn well tell ya I'd have coughed up $20 in a nanosecond for that crinoid specimen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RCFossils

Reminds me of material from the Mississipian cut near Sulphur Indiana.

Those are wonderful specimens!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UtahFossilHunter
4 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Here is the Petalodus tooth. I have no other info except that it is Pennsylvanian in age. I would really love to have a location that this came from.

According to this paper

http://www.docs.dcnr.pa.gov/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_20033686.pdf

dcnr_20033686.pdf

They are quite common in Pennsylvania which is Pennsylvanian in age of course. It wouldn’t be unusual for a common fossil to wind up in another state’s rock shop as we know with GRF fish and U-Dig trilobites. Those are some great buys though!:dinothumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis
7 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

According to this paper

http://www.docs.dcnr.pa.gov/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_20033686.pdf

dcnr_20033686.pdf

They are quite common in Pennsylvania which is Pennsylvanian in age of course. It wouldn’t be unusual for a common fossil to wind up in another state’s rock shop as we know with GRF fish and U-Dig trilobites. Those are some great buys though!:dinothumb:

I understand that, but I believe both pieces came from either Indiana or Illinois, the other pieces that were at this store were also from Indiana. I believe the owner bought the from a local collector who self collected. I am looking for Crinoid ID's and a possible location of where the tooth came from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UtahFossilHunter
3 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

I understand that, but I believe both pieces came from either Indiana or Illinois, the other pieces that were at this store were also from Indiana. I believe the owner bought the from a local collector who self collected. I am looking for Crinoid ID's and a possible location of where the tooth came from.

I now realize my post may have sounded condescending. I am sorry, I didn’t mean for it to sound that way. I was just clarifying for anyone in the future also looking for info on their Petalodus teeth that isn’t as fossil savvy as you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis
45 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

I now realize my post may have sounded condescending. I am sorry, I didn’t mean for it to sound that way. I was just clarifying for anyone in the future also looking for info on their Petalodus teeth that isn’t as fossil savvy as you.

Believe me it did not sound that way and I did not take it that way, so no worries- I appreciate any type of help. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wrangellian

I can't help you with IDs either but the fact that the crinoid came with location info I think means you're well on your way to getting the IDs. I would have snapped it up too! Nice association piece. I don't worry about lack of IDs as I do about lack of location info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Peat Burns

Is that little one a cystoid rather than a crinoid? (Reminiscent of Silurian Caryocrinites?)

 

For some reason, I'm getting a Silurian Waldron Shale vibe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis
2 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

I can't help you with IDs either but the fact that the crinoid came with location info I think means you're well on your way to getting the IDs. I would have snapped it up too! Nice association piece. I don't worry about lack of IDs as I do about lack of location info.

I agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis
1 hour ago, Peat Burns said:

Is that little one a cystoid rather than a crinoid? (Reminiscent of Silurian Caryocrinites?)

 

For some reason, I'm getting a Silurian Waldron Shale vibe.

I am not positive, but I will look it up Tony.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis

@Herb any idea on the first piece?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Herb

sorry I don't have an ID, but it is a beautiful specimen

just a guess for the smaller one on the bottom, Cyanthocrinites sp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
drbush

nice crinoids

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis
7 hours ago, Herb said:

sorry I don't have an ID, but it is a beautiful specimen

just a guess for the smaller one on the bottom, Cyanthocrinites sp.

Thanks Herb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis
4 hours ago, drbush said:

nice crinoids

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
crinus

I am almost sure that the crinoid piece is from none of the places mentioned.  It is Devonian from Alpena, Michigan.  You have a Megistocrinus and a Dolatocrinus on the piece.  Most probably from the Thunder Bay formation at Partridge Point.  I would have to see the matrix to be 100% sure. 

 

Curious where you got this piece.  Last years at MAPS I ran into someone selling Alpena pieces that were completely mislabeled. 

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis
13 hours ago, crinus said:

I am almost sure that the crinoid piece is from none of the places mentioned.  It is Devonian from Alpena, Michigan.  You have a Megistocrinus and a Dolatocrinus on the piece.  Most probably from the Thunder Bay formation at Partridge Point.  I would have to see the matrix to be 100% sure. 

 

Curious where you got this piece.  Last years at MAPS I ran into someone selling Alpena pieces that were completely mislabeled. 

Joe

Joe thanks for the IDs and location info. I will send you a PM on seller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×