davidcpowers

Hey there I was prepping a plate of Baculites when I noticed what looking like a bone. At the time int was hidden under a crust of calcite. After removing the calcite I now need to gather ideas on what kind of bone this maybe. So, I am looking for some ID help.

DSC_0017-as-Smart-Object-2.jpg

DSC_0006-as-Smart-Object-3.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

maybe a partial vertebra?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thank you Abyssunder it maybe a vertebra. It is about 4cm square. It is missing sockets that could explain jointing.

Bit of fish skull would be my guess.  :unsure:  :headscratch: :shrug:

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

from what I see the left side is a smooth curved edge. The bottom edge is concave curved edge. The top may mirror the bottom. But that is missing.  It could be a part of a fish skull.

Hey there, it looks like a worn fish vertebra to me. Fish vertebra have a distinctive "Hour Glass" shape to them. The bone in your pictures has a very distinct "X" shape that shows when a fish vert is worn in half. 

10 hours ago, davidcpowers said:

DSC_0006-as-Smart-Object-3.jpg

The long silvery objects look more like clams than Baculites Do you see any septa in them? Similar clams such as Gervilliopsis occur in north Texas Cretaceous rocks: 

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/74930-help/

4388779F-3B28-4B6F-A9CA-05F2DB2C5FC5.jpeg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Hi Collections Curator,

This plate is roughly 18 inches wide and 12 inches tall. I am sure these are baculites. Cross section is egg shape. Those in a little better condition show suturing and decorative elements.  Those found near the telegraph formation are usually in better condition.  The telegraph Formation is about ten to fifteen feet up from the strata where I removed this hash plate. About 60 miles east in the bear paw shale the baculites will be larger and in better condition.

I have found a few clams. They tend to be small with badly decomposed shells at this level in the mudstone. Higher up they are a little larger around 6cm and in better condition.

This is the first piece of bone I found in with my usual invertebrate fossils.

BACULITES-UNDULATUS-detail-.jpg

7 hours ago, uncoat said:

Hey there, it looks like a worn fish vertebra to me. Fish vertebra have a distinctive "Hour Glass" shape to them. The bone in your pictures has a very distinct "X" shape that shows when a fish vert is worn in half. 

That is exactly what I see as well. 

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

Hey Old Bones and Uncoat, 

After Uncoat brought up fish vertebra I did some checking this morning before heading to work.  I'm incline to go with fish vertebra.  Thank you Old Bones and Uncoat  for your help.