Morocco fossil hunt tour

OwlEyes

About a year ago I came across a fossil hunt report in Morocco and fall in love with the trilobites.  From another website, I saw picture of Morocco crinoids plate and I just wish I have them.  Last week I found a trip in groupon to Morocco for 15 days.  Then I find there are many fossil hunting tours in Morocco from 8 to 15 days.  I would like to ask if anyone using the tour for fossil hunt? Are they good and if anyone has a favorite tour company to suggest?  I am appreciate any information and help.  Thanks.

Check out some of the links HERE.

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

7 minutes ago, Al Tahan said:

I’ll second that. Interesting if there are fossil tours in Morocco! 

There are a number of guided tours. A quick search on Google reveals quite a few. 

EDIT: Tim beat me to the finish line. :D 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

To get a better sense of the collecting localities and fauna, I would highly recommend Patrice Lebrun's luridly illustrated book:

https://www.nhbs.com/fossils-from-morocco-volume-1-emblematic-localities-from-the-palaeozoic-of-the-anti-atlas-fossiles-du-maroc-volume-1-gisements-emblematiques-du-paleozoique-de-lanti-atlas-book

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

4 minutes ago, Al Tahan said:

Tim you are fast! 

My bucket list is turning into a barrel list :faint:oh boy

Google is my friend. ;)  :P 

And I hear you on the bucket list. :rolleyes: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I suggest a bit of research. Decide what specifically you want to collect and where it can be found. Then try to locate tours or tour guides that will take you there. Good luck.

14 hours ago, OwlEyes said:

About a year ago I came across a fossil hunt report in Morocco and fall in love with the trilobites.  From another website, I saw picture of Morocco crinoids plate and I just wish I have them. 

A trip to Morocco is certainly on every serious collector's bucket list.  However you should be realistic about your expectations.  If you go in order to learn about the geology, see where the fossils come from and maybe collect some yourself, and especially meet the people and experience the culture, then you're likely to have a great experience.  If you go thinking you're going to come home with a ton of great fossils on the cheap, you will certainly be disappointed.  One of our Forum members did such a trip a few years ago, and that was his experience as I recall.  He came back with trilobites he collected himself, but they all had to be prepped when he got home.  The trip (airfare, hotels, guided collecting trips) cost much more than he would have paid to purchase good quality prepped specimens at home or through our favorite online auction site.  He reported that the trip was quite worthwhile, but the value was in meeting people, experiencing the culture, seeing where the fossils come from, finding some yourself, and appreciating how hard people work to make these fossils available on the commercial market.

Don

• I found this Informative 4

4 hours ago, Kane said:

To get a better sense of the collecting localities and fauna, I would highly recommend Patrice Lebrun's luridly illustrated book:

https://www.nhbs.com/fossils-from-morocco-volume-1-emblematic-localities-from-the-palaeozoic-of-the-anti-atlas-fossiles-du-maroc-volume-1-gisements-emblematiques-du-paleozoique-de-lanti-atlas-book

The book is approximately 50% less expensive if purchased directly from the publisher: LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

ZRS Fossils and Gifts's photo.

APR1

JOIN ZRS Fossils for an Adventure of a Lifetime -- Collect Fossils, Minerals, Agates & much more in Exotic Morocco! 

This is a yearly trip a local fossil shop in Minneapolis offers. It is absolutely stunning from the pictures I have seen from their trips. Camels are used for transportation at a few sites they visit. They immerse you into the local culture and fossils are just icing on the cake!! I would check them out if interested in a trip. @OwlEyes

Mike

Thanks everyone.  I'll do more research and decide.

@fossildawg, I'll understand.  From my home town, it is almost always cheaper to buy then collect.  But I always love to collect the fossil myself.  And yes, I want fossil, geology, culture, and meeting people.  Morocco is also on my husband bucket list so it is easy to get him agree on going.

I did some research and learn that is hard to collect some fossil that I really want since it requires a lot of digging.  But there are some sides that we can collect on the surface.  I'll do more research.

I booked everything.  I found out it is a lot cheaper to buy ticket to Paris then from Paris to Casablanca.  So I'll stay 2 days in Paris, it is my first time in Paris and I am very excited.  I booked a tour for 14 days in Morocco which includes 5 days fossil hunting.  They will pick us up and drop off at the airport so we don't have to worry about anything.  Now I just wait for April.

7 hours ago, OwlEyes said:

I booked everything.  I found out it is a lot cheaper to buy ticket to Paris then from Paris to Casablanca.  So I'll stay 2 days in Paris, it is my first time in Paris and I am very excited.  I booked a tour for 14 days in Morocco which includes 5 days fossil hunting.  They will pick us up and drop off at the airport so we don't have to worry about anything.  Now I just wait for April.

Good luck and have fun!

Looking forward to Your trip report. Take lots of pictures.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.