Mystery rock

Jay79

Hi all, this rock has been in the yard since the 50's at grandmas house. It was originally found in the Grand Canyon around that time on a trip. I'm no archeologist so I'm here for expert opinions as this rock looks very different to me( egg like ). It's about 5x7" and weighs about 8lbs. I have held on to it over the years just because it looks so peculiar to me. Thanks for your time or sorry for wasting it.

IMG_20190119_133320.jpg

IMG_20190119_133646.jpg

IMG_20190119_141925.jpg

An interesting looking rock for sure, but my guess is its just a rock.  Would be even more interesting to see the insides? 

RB

Looks like a river tumbled stone to me.

Perhaps one that was caught up in a boil hole which would account for the roundness of the piece.

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 hour ago, RJB said:

An interesting looking rock for sure, but my guess is its just a rock.  Would be even more interesting to see the insides? 

RB

Yes I was thinking about that as well  but unsure on how or what the best method would be to do so?

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

Looks like a river tumbled stone to me.

Perhaps one that was caught up in a boil hole which would account for the roundness of the piece.

Yes that would make sense. What about the leathery textured appearance? It looks as if it was soft at one time?

I'm pretty sure it is a rock with hight silica content, and it was tumbled for a long time according to its roundness and percussion marks visible on the surface.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

You will need a rock saw to cut it or a hammer to shatter it.

The texture is caused by different hardnesses within the rock (he softer parts weather out quicker) and impact damage (from hitting other rocks while tumbling).

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

5 minutes ago, ynot said:

Safety glasses ! Those shards really whizz. 

• I found this Informative 1

3 minutes ago, ynot said:

The texture is caused by different hardnesses within the rock (he softer parts weather out quicker) and impact damage (from hitting other rocks while tumbling).

Oh OK. It's a cool looking rock I'd hate to destroy it. Plus its been around so long its like family now haha. 

If you try to compare the surface patterns of your specimen with the samples below, I think you may find a proper resemblance. :)

IMG_20190119_141925.jpg.e64fc833be62b1e819bf3fb0f30df2b8.thumb.jpg.4334672603924c8973dadd16df95b83a.jpg5c43c8b5442c6_Figure2.thumb.jpg.e787df2f1a1840b1298bb8d24e1838c4.jpg

reference: W.U. Reimold & R.C.A. Minnitt .1996. Impact-induced shatter cones or percussion marks on quartzites of the Witwatersrand and Transvaal Supergroups. South African Journal of Geology 99(3): 299-308

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library